Could i Have a aro in this tank

OscarBoy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so with all the aros i have seen y have they been with oscars etc etc?

Because the owners were dickheads? Seriously mate, you need to realise that putting an arowana in your tank is a bad idea - that is what pretty much everyone here has told you. I'm sure you are probably just a bit bored with the holidays and a broken arm, and like all of us want to own some cool fish - but you need to realise that some combinations just won't work. Why don't to wait until you have another tank and then get an arowana? That way it, the Oscars, and ultimately you will be much happier - its not much fun owning sick, stressed, and dead fish, and no-one will feel any sympathy for you if you ignore good advice and end up making a huge mistake.

evil whats the chance of finding a small though? dose nz only import them or dose someone breed them? yea i have been looking at what size tank i will need when it reaches like 45cm etc etc... wait im going to tell u something real sad at this chinese food shop(take aways) they had a aro(easy 65-70cm) in a tank that was like 60 back not even 100cm long and around 50 high and the aro could only just turn around and swim like 1 length

Chances of finding one that is 5cm in NZ - probably nil. Smallest ive ever seen them would be pushing 15cm head to tail anyway. No one in NZ breeds them (as far as im aware) though i think a couple people on these forums have tried, or are wanting to try. they are all imported, but not all the time,and they wouldn't be brought in small as they would die.

bro you are gonna give the conch a hernia! all the advice so far has pointed to your current tank not being suited to an Aro - unfortunately you can't get little'uns in NZ so that isn't an option either.

We've all seen fish that we've gone ga ga for but because we do care about fishy welfare we do (should) stop and think if we can really give X fish a good home.

No one is getting down on you for wanting an Aro but they are clearly giving the message that you should wait till you've got that 6ft + tank.

how about hitting up ya mates and family to help you get that 6footer for Xmas mate!! that might make your goal of owning an Aro seem a bit closer :D

So, even though everyone on the thread has said no, he is still going to do it. THATS why some people dont wanna help.

EDIT: Yarimochi..... you were the one bagging 'emily' in the other thread saying 'oh its obvious this isn't going to happen, blah blah blah' Big negative of you isn't it? "Why do we even bother having FNZAS" when people just bag each other? :wink:

Hey hey hey, I think everyones just getting a little bit hot under the collar. And I think evilknieval69 has a huge bee in his bonnet. And anyway, Im not being negative, just realistic.

I wonder what kind of tank youd need to fit your ego into. Seriously, this is a forum for everyone. If no one is willing to answer someones question becuase they could "just go on google" then why do we have fnzas??

Yes this is a forum for everyone, beginners included, but that doesnt mean they need to ask everything and expect to be spoon-fed information and have their hand held. There are websites like aquaria central that have species profiles with size, diet, water parameters etc, or the arowana forum on monsterfishkeepers.com that has profiles of all the different bonytongue species. Why do we have those? If oscarboy had have looked at such a site (or a book even!) and seen the max size of a silver arowana then it would have been obvious that the tank he's wanting to keep it in is far too small. Who knows, he may also have learned some other interesting, useful information along the way instead of relying on others to answer his every question.

The reason we have FNZAS (and other discussion forums) is to share knowlege and discus fish. But how many times has there been discussions about curing whitespot or cycling a new tank? Basic topics like those (and will X fish be alright in Y tank) have been covered so many times that there is no need to go over it again and again. That is why the forums have a search function, otherwise we would sound like a stuck record repeating the same things over and over.

I'm sorry if you feel threatened or upset by my suggesting people be responsible for their own learning [to a degree] instead of just 'asking the forum' everything, and that you have mistaken it for a big ego. When I started keeping fish we didn't have the internet and the only way to learn things was by reading books, or trial and error.