Could i Have a aro in this tank

OscarBoy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

700mm wide and 800mm high would need extremely thick glass and lots of bracing. You're probably talking 15mm glass at least, and would not be cheap at all. You dont realy need the depth with aros, they mainly need length and width, so id go with 8ft long, 700 (preferably more) wide and only 600 high max. Its the height of the tank that effects the thickness of the glass, so the higher you go, the more costly it will be

Stand would need to be a major, as it will have in excess of a tonne of weight on it. Oh and i hope you live in a house with a concrete floor too!

If you (or your dad or somone you know) are fairly good with tools/woodworking etc then you could make your own, but it would need to be perfectly even and flat, otherwise talk to peter at port nicholson glass and get a quote from him for a steel stand.

You could make a stand out of whatever you wanted too, it would just have to be well made with enough strength to hold the weight and a nice flat base for the tank to sit on..

As for a tank I wouldn't go much higher than 600 high deep tanks are a pain in the bum to maintain and also require really thick glass, ring Peter for a quote for the tank he's always given me good prices when ive got stuff off him... Or watch trademe something might come up..

Ive read alot of aro keepers like cubes instead of your standard tanks. A person i know mentioned he had a shallow cube for his aro who was well over the 2 foot mark (cant remember how long, just remember thinking that was way bigger than everyone says to account for size wise), held around 2000L though i think.

IMO if your gonna get such a fish do it properly, no skimping on tank size. Just cause it can turn around in a tank when its nose and tail can touch either side doesnt mean thats fair, you wouldnt put a dog in a pen that was only just wide enough for it to turn in would you?

Good luck

wat would the stand have to be made of?

No problem doing it with a wooden stand. Lots of 4x2s and a couple of sheets of plywood.. no worries.

A single 4x2 will support something like 500kg, it's just a matter of bracing them, thats where the plywood comes in.

Think about how a house is built, 4x2s and ply bracing in modern homes, safe in storms and earthquakes :)

You do need to build it accuratly , but as long as you can cut all your 4x2s the same length, the the top will be flat.

Seriously, save up, get a monster tank, then look for some fish to fill it. Not the other way around.

Cheers

Ian

hahahaha he thinks hes freaking cool.... did u see his post? i mean im just trying to figure out if i can ahve a aro... wat size would u recomend 4 my size tank?

This is where it's handy to proof-read your posts and think about what you are trying to say/ask. Your original post says:

hi guys i was wondering could i get a 15cm aro in my tank 100cm long by 75 high and 50 wide. the only fish that would b in there are 2 plecos and 3 clown loaches(small) and maybe 2 baby oscars is that 2 much or would they get along etc etc? oh yes it is 325l and it is amde of 10mm glass.

Nowhere in that post did you mention anything about the 4' tank being a grow-out until you can get a 6', so conch, myself, and I'm sure most other people presumed that you were asking if you could keep those fish in that tank for life.

Now if your post read something like this:

Hi guys. I currently have a 100x75x50cm (LxHxW) tank that I would like to use to grow out a silver arowana and two oscars until I can upgrade to a 6'x2'x2' tank. It has an XXXX filter and I will do XX% water change every X days. If I purchase the silver aro at around 15cm, how long do you think it will be before I need to shift it into the bigger tank?

(Note the full stops, capital letters, sentences etc. There isn't a character limit on your posts.)

Then my answer (and probably conch and others) would have been something like:

Hi. I recently purchased a silver aro at around 12-15cm. and fed on a diet of pellets and shrimp he had doubled in length in only a few months. They grow very quickly when small, and I think you would need to have the big tank ready in 2-4 months, depending on the size of the aro when you buy it. Remember they are more likely to get stressed and jump when they feel confined in a small tank.

When researching anything, the answers you get are only as good as the questions you ask. ;)

As for the ultimate size, I think 8' long, 3' wide and 30" high would be the absolute minimum. Anyone who has seen a big silver (like 3'+) in public aquariums will agree, they really are big! Not just long either, they can get quite thick from top to bottom. However, a 6'x2'x2' will be alright for several years, and a 6'x3'x2' would be even better.

Not as big as the ones I saw at the London Aquarium, they were HUGE!! At least a metre long and 6"+ from top to bottom at the head. They were in an enormous (think several hundred thousand litres, at a guess) tank with other big fish, red tailed catfish, giant gourami's, asian aro's, pacus etc.