Could i Have a aro in this tank

OscarBoy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got a aro with 2 oscars and they are a perfect match

just gota make sure the aro is the right length compared to the oscar and ull be sweet

theres nothing wrong with putting other fish in with aros as there gona get drop eye eventuly anyway , theres a handfull without it out ther.

so id say oscars are a great mix, theres alot of fish that mix

aros breed during certain seasons so there will be patches where there no availble like now, when they do come there usuly 10-15cm

how bigs your oscars now?

4foot tank will be fine for a few months and are perfect for growing out, put a baby in a large tank and its harder for them to find food ,and food is what you wana give them plenty of at that stage.

feeding heavy means you wana do regular water changes so again easyr to do on a 4 foot during the first few months of growth.

just make sure u hav a good filter :lol:

aslong as ur sure ull get a 6 foot ,id say go for it and grow it out in a 4foot and keep the oscars its a mean mix 8)

theres nothing wrong with putting other fish in with aros as there gona get drop eye eventuly anyway , theres a handfull without it out ther.

so id say oscars are a great mix, theres alot of fish that mix

Maybe thats why they all have Drop-eye.... Because people say/think that 'oh they are gunna get it anyway so don't bother' :roll: Maybe if people kept them in tanks alone, feed them properly, gave them the correct water conditions and generally looked after them well, they wouldn't all end up with drop-eye....

No, i have not kept an Arowana before, and im purely going on what ive read/been told/other peoples personal experiences. People seem to think that 'because someone hasn't done something' that they don't know anything about them, One person springs to mind, but better not mention names cos 'they' will get offended :)

Anywho, good to hear that you gave it a try, and im sorry to hear it didn't work, but there MUST be a way of doing it. I think it has a fair bit to do with the food aswell and other things. Maybe the ones we get in NZ are mainly weak? im not sure. Anyway, im sure having one in a tank of its own would be easier on the fish anyway, as it wouldn't HAVE to look down and worry about its tankmates, even if it didnt prevent drop-eye, it would sure make the fish feal/look? better?

Dunno, just putting things out there, but i would not put anything in with an arowana, unless of course it already had Drop-eye in BOTH eyes

well what size tank does he need for a arowana then??what about a 1800*600*600 or does it have to be wide like 1800*700*600 or 1800*800*600 what size can you get a way with.do just tell no

tell what the mimmin size tank he can have for hes arowana and oscars. so he kown what to save for .before it get to big.

Yep, as others have said. Everyone has a different opinion.

You'd be looking at $150 or so for a small arowana.

Once they get to big big sizes youd probably be looking at 8 foot long at least, and preferably 3 foot wide, but 750 or over would probably do. Arowana grow to 600 easily, so a 600 wide tank (even though they can turn fairly comfortably in one) would not be the best option. Id aim at eventually getting an 8 x 3 x 2 in a couple years time.

Yea a pet shop would get one as ryan said, but id get peter at port nicholson glass (i think thats the place) to make it for you. Haven't delt with him personally but i know alot of people on here have had their large tanks made by him and he does an outstanding job. He builts stands too i beleive.

EDIT: Oh you mean an aro. They will get you one as long as they are on the lists. doesn't hurt to ask