Buying a Bichir

AROWANA

go to the lib and get a copy of it gives pretty detailed information regarding bichir keeping.... hehe i myself have 3 ornates and a senelgalus... fantastic beasts... pet shop guys told me theyll never catch the gold barbs i bought as feed... they proved him wrong... 12 gold barbs+ 3 ornates + 3 days = 3 very very fat and satisfied ornates 8)

I found this so i can have one.

Factfile

Ornate polypterus

Polypterus ornatipinnis

Size: Said to reach more than 60cm (24") in the wild but captives seldom grow larger than 38-45cm (15-18") long.

Guide price: Starting at around ?18 for a 15cm (6") specimen to around ?45 for a 30cm (12") fish.

Aquarium: Minimum 120 x 37.5 x 45cm (48" x 15" x 18") for a single specimen but you could keep a pair in this size tank with no problems at all.

Anyone wanting to keep more, or other varieties together, should buy at least 180 x 45 x 45cm (72" x 18" x 18") as these fish can be aggressive towards each other if there is not enough space and hiding places.

Water parameters: A very easy fish to please: pH 7-8, GH 10-18.

Temperature: 25-27?C (76-80?F).

Diet: The best food for Polypterus includes earthworms, prawns, mussels, whitebait, cockles as well as trout and catfish pellets. These are not over-active fish, so food only needs to be offered two to three times per week.

Breeding: P. ornatipinnis has been bred in the aquarium. The male has a larger anal fin which he uses like a cup to gather the eggs from the female's vent. These are then deposited on plants. There are around 200 to 300 eggs which hatch after four days at a temperature of 26?C (78?F).

its important to keep juvies in tiny tanks to begin with, you want to up grade the tank as the fish grows. because of the way they hunt. tank doesnt have to be massive ultimately as these guys are pretty inactive, a 150 tank will be fine for one or 2 fully grown one...