hey from balmy palmy

vindy500

Hi, and welcome.

Does anyone know why wet pets say palmy water is not suitable for fish tanks?

Possibly because of the additives the council put in the water to make it fit for human consumption, chlorine is the main un-fish friendly additive.

The cheapest way to overcome this is to get a container - bucket is good - of at least the capacity of your usual water change, fill it up and aerate it with an airpump and airstone for a day before you do the water change. This should dissapate the chlorine for you, and is much cheaper than using a chemical declorinator.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

We are all here to Help where we can.

To start with... sorry that you are from Palmy :lol:

(Been there and it is either raining or windy :lol: )

As Zev said... I believe wet pets offer water for fish too. can't remember if they charge you for this service... I am sure someone will let you know.

Wok

Hi and welcome :)

The weather here has been as crap as usual!

Unsure also why wetpets says your water is unsuitable, I just use tap water but I'm out here in Bull's, its what ive always done no matter where ive been living and never had any problems.. You could contact the council and find out what they stick in the water..

welcome to the forum, I too just joined a little while ago, and I have found everyone here great, so very helpfull and the members tanks is a great place to get ideas from.

As for your water situation, we are in auckland and cant say we have many tap water problems, but if you were into a bit of chemstry and wanted to find out for your self exactly what your water was doing, we use a master test kit, and even though I thought it expensive when we got it, it has proved invaluable.

I know there are natural ways to get the chlorine etc out of the water, but we have always used stress zyme and stress coat to condition our water before adding our fish, and we also use stress coat to aid any fish when moving them and if there have been any fights and someone has been injured. I just like to know that all our guys are safe and happy and this is what most shops use too (in some brand or another).

Using the above products I cant see why there would be a problem. I know though this will just be the start of your learning and I think this is what keeps it interesting, there is always something new I didnt know popping up and needing investigation, and I have been keeping fish of some sort since I was a kid.

Well good luck and Im sure with all the input you will find the answer right for you.

All the best and I look forward to seeing your pics around. KB

I can't remember the specifics, but Palmy water isn't suitable because of where they get it from, bore water ?? or something like that.

Anyway wetpets DO NOT do it to 'encourage you to buy chemicals', they have signs recommending using streams creeks etc. Tap water there has something in it thats undesirable, just can't remember what it was.

Welcome aboard :)

• 1 month later...

I'm from Palmy.

I know people who just water straight from the tap, no additives or general farting about. They have been keeping fish for a very, very long time.

I also know someone else who was laso very experienced and did the same thing and lost a tankload of fish after a waterchange. He rang the council and it turned out they had flushed through a higher dosage of chemicals that day. Apparently they do this occasionally.

Palmy water comes from four sources I think. Depends on where you live which water you get. The whole tiritea stream thing doesn't go to most of the city (just hokowhitu I think). The rest is from underground. Don't quote me... I only know the vaguest about this.

Personally I use a water filter (standard plug-in kitchen one) adapted to fit on a hose pipe. Thing is I haven't changed the filter in 1.5 years so who knows what it is achieving. Still, I would struggle to use straight tap water.

Yeah so I don't know the answer.... you need to use what makes sense to you I guess.