"Water conditioner"

Hoody

I am a little confused?! :oops:

When using water conditioner, the instruction's say to add "x" amount of conditioner to "x" amount of tank water. I.e; Add 5ml per 38L of tank water.

My question is, do you work out how much conditioner you need by the overall tank volume or the amount of water being changed?? :-?

Hmmm. the great water conditioner debate.

Some people say use it, some say don't bother.

Maybe 99% of the time you may get away without using conditioner. And then there is the 1% chance the the council in your area have done a chorine flush, safe to drink but deadly to fish, and all your expensive fish die.

I guess if you choose not to use it your playing russian roulette.

At $3.50 per bottle that treats over a 1000 litres, I'll take the conditioner.

Also I've been told the conditioner contains trace minerals aswell, true or not, I don't know.

Nothing wrong with a great debate if it is kept on track :wink:

It helps others decide for themselves what is best for them. I am lucky as our water supply doesn't have chlorine added so I have no need of anything to be added to the tank water.

Thanks Hoody for asking....

When using water conditioner, the instruction's say to add "x" amount of conditioner to "x" amount of tank water. I.e; Add 5ml per 38L of tank water.

I owe you one!

Man have I been doing it wrong :oops: :oops: my poor fish!

Thanks to you guys I now know .... They should explain it better on the bottle....

and as for the debate.... I'm so using conditioner... I have the worst water in the country :(:( so a study says.... I don't even drink the water from the tap.... no way I'm letting my fish... :lol: :lol:

We always use it as the water actually smells of chlorine when it comes out of the tap sometimes...

When we had a small tank, we'd just put the fresh tap water into a bucket and let it sit out for 24 hours before using it as that evaporates the chlorine, but with a big tank you can't really do that.

haha! Amusing picture... It's quite changable as some days you feel like you've just hopped out of the local swimming pool after your shower, and other days you don't notice a thing.

Well, the conditionaer says it deals with chloramine too so that's good.

When the water smells of "Chlorine" it is actually chloramines and there is probably not much free chlorine there. If you could smell chlorine you would be rolling around the floor choking to death like grandfather in the trenches during the second world war.

True, but chloramines are toxic to fish too, so if your water has that 'dirty swimming pool' smell, then a water conditioner is a good idea for sure.

Cheers

Ian