October 15, 200718 yr comment_188661 As mentioned in the title,im wondering if anyone has any idea how long the liquid ingedients in test kits remain active for?eg pH or NO2...etc Do they have any kind of timeframe before tests become inactive or inaccurate? I got a unused one that came with a tank but not sure how old it is.Cant find a used by date on it.Will do tests,so may get answers then,but still wondered if anyone could help with my question? Cheers in advance Happy fish keeping 8) Report
October 15, 200718 yr comment_188669 about a year, best to throw them out and get fresh test kits. Report
October 15, 200718 yr Author comment_188671 Thanks Reef, I suspect its more than that so shall do Report
October 15, 200718 yr comment_188713 I had an ammonia kit that was supposed to be good till 2008. Bought more than a year ago. Once I used up my other kit, I started testing my tanks with this one. Ammonia was up. Numerous water changes, no change in readings. So one day did a 50% change in one of the tanks, when tested, ammonia was higher. I thought that is insane! Went and bought a new test kit, things were fine! Caper Report
October 15, 200718 yr comment_188718 Apparently the last four numbers on the API test kits are the date of manufacture. Add a year or two and thats your expiry date Report
October 16, 200718 yr comment_188733 pH tests are fine for years. Our club did an experiment once. We got an expensive, calibrated pH test meter then asked members to bring containers of tank water, tap water and any pH test kits they had. We then tested all to see what range of pH we had in our tanks and whether the differing test kits gave different results. Interestingly enough, all the kits read the same and matched the expensive electronic meter. Some of the tests kits were brand new and some were many years old. Report
October 16, 200718 yr comment_188906 Caryl, did you test using any of the pH test strips. Personally, I don't like them. I was excited when they had the other kind back at the store, till I realized it was the only one and package had been opened! Caper Report
October 16, 200718 yr comment_188912 I'm still using the very first pH test kit I bought in about January 1997!!! Still seems to work (well it turns the water pretty colours anyway). I just bought a pack with nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and pH, so I'll do a comparison and see if its still accurate. Report
October 16, 200718 yr comment_188915 well it turns the water pretty colours anyway :lol: :lol: :lol: Caper Report
October 16, 200718 yr comment_188929 Id buy a half descent full range one.. Those mid range ones are a bit average and on work around a ph of 7.. Not much help if your trying to setup a high or low PH tank.. Report
October 17, 200718 yr comment_188950 Our members had a number of pH kits of different brands. Some liquid, some strips. All worked well no matter what age or type. Report
October 17, 200718 yr Author comment_188967 What about the electronic pH meters?Has any one had exerience with these?So long as it stays calibrtaed correctly,it would take away the need to test with chemicals,hassle etc.(Not that to say its a hassle making sure your water parameters are ok for your fish ofcourse). Ive got a water hardness and salinity electronic meter which is soo convenient,does temp too. Report
October 17, 200718 yr comment_188968 What about the electronic pH meters?Has any one had exerience with these?So long as it stays calibrtaed correctly,it would take away the need to test with chemicals,hassle etc.(Not that to say its a hassle making sure your water parameters are ok for your fish ofcourse). Ive got a water hardness and salinity electronic meter which is soo convenient,does temp too. Keeping them callibrated is the problem - those that work by electrical impedance through the water are very accurate, but the probes don't last long and are expensive to replace. Basic chemical reagents are accurate enough for what most people do. Report
October 17, 200718 yr comment_188989 My kit is very cheap. Rainwater is soft and slightly acid and tap water is about 45ppm CaCO3 and slightly alkaline. Report
October 20, 200718 yr comment_189587 Hi All I have and regularly use three different "ELECTRONIC" pH and TDS Pen Type meters. The results are great and immediate with accuracy of plus or minus 1 degree. I am negotiating to import some at present and they will sell for about $65 each for pH Testing and $80 for TDS Testing. Report
October 20, 200718 yr comment_189609 Has anyone thought of a descent way to cal the optical type ones (has what looks like an LED on the end) I have one but no solution to cal it with.. Was going to compare it to ph tested water and try that.. Report
October 20, 200718 yr comment_189619 Hi All. "TDS" stands for "Total Dissolved Solids". This is a new method of testing the quality of water, but is mainly European so far. It works on the principle that "PURE WATER" has zero solids or impurities, which means that it is a very poor conductor of electricity, thereby giving you a reading of zero. As it is an electrical measure, the results are in "MICROSIEMENS". The measure is a lot more accurate: a bit like inches and millimeters, you get a finer reading. Report
October 20, 200718 yr comment_189620 Hi Ryanjury All testers come with their own specific test buffer solution. :roll: When that's used up (which should take years) you go back to who you bought the unit off and buy some more. All testers need their own solution to be kept accurate. There is NO HIT & MISS QUICKIE FIX. Report
October 20, 200718 yr comment_189626 Hi All. "TDS" stands for "Total Dissolved Solids". This is a new method of testing the quality of water, but is mainly European so far. It works on the principle that "PURE WATER" has zero solids or impurities, which means that it is a very poor conductor of electricity, thereby giving you a reading of zero. As it is an electrical measure, the results are in "MICROSIEMENS". The measure is a lot more accurate: a bit like inches and millimeters, you get a finer reading. TDS meters for fish tanks have been round for ages, they are used to check the effectiveness of DI resins etc. Have one at work (Pen type) must be going on 10 years old- still works well Report
October 20, 200718 yr comment_189632 Hi All I made NO STATEMENT that TDS Meters were "NEW" as such; only being used by hobbyists for the last few years, and they have a long way to go. They are basicly a commercial tester and as such I don't personally think they will become over popular with anyone other than commercial operators. Report
October 21, 200718 yr comment_189656 I got the PH meter second hand and the solution was to stick the probe in and then adjust the meter to read the value that the solution was supposed to be.. If I got some water measured its PH and then stuck the meter in the water set it to that value surely im achieving the same thing? Report
October 21, 200718 yr comment_189726 Why don't you just get some new buffer solutions for your pH meter? Having to measure your pH some other way so you can calibrate the pH meter sort of defeats the purpose of having it doesn't it? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.