Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Blue Dempseys

Featured Replies

Wow that is a good price, i saw them here at $400 a pop for a 10cm fish.

Apparently there is still a big debate about them if they are line bred, a hybrid or just a freak of nature. They cant be found in the wild because according to the ones who "discovered" this fish that they have the weakest traits of any brood and they often die when still young.

But IMHO this is hybrid. It looks like a cross between Cuban cichlid (Cichlasoma tetracanthus) and JD.

Good arguements on both sides of hybrid or mutation

seem to be 2 sizes for sale in the lfs, is that from 2 different importers, any one know ?

maternal mitochondrial dna has been done to prove as dempsey on the mothers side,

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... ?blogid=97

has anyone come across any mention of paternal dna testing on these?

these seem to support it being a dempsey colour morph at least on the mothers side :o

  • Author

From what I 've heard

first lot came in and importer decided to keep them to grow up breed whatever.

2nd lot came in from another importer and went to market. 1st lot then released so were bigger

From what I've seen the smaller ones or the first to hit shops seems cleaner.

DNA testing:

http://bluejax.14.forumer.com/viewtopic ... cbca865ac7

seems to draw same conclusion.

Ooo, I was about to post about the blues. I'm hooked! Don't have the money yet but will buy at least one when I do. I keep on daydreaming every time I go into one of the shops. What are some good tankmates for them? One of the people at one of the pet stores has got his two in with an arowana and something else. I saw them for about $60-70 in one shop...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.