Hello there :)

Loricariidae

Hi all,

I'm very, very new to fishkeeping (had a couple of small tanks a few years ago, notably two very awesome plecos!) and now looking into getting into it again. Part-time, overpaid job + too much spare time = the need for some massive pleco pals, methinks...

Any advice would be really, really appreciated, just remember to keep at the level that a monkey would understand (and not one of those clever trained ones either...)!

Welcome.

No big trick to getting a large pleco.. just buy a small one and feed it :lol:

Or offer to rehome one thats outgrown someones 2ft tank. Thats how I got my gibby, swapped it for a Bristlenose which was much better suited to the original owners tank.

Cheers

Ian

Thank you very much for the warm welcome! :)

No tank yet - looking for a decent sized/priced one in my area. I would love to rehome a large pleco when I do get my tank - if anyone's offering... :wink:

I'm not too sure about the other fish. For me it's all about the pleccys, but my silly flatmate wants some "pretty fish" too, so any suggestions would be most welcome. Or recommendations for a new flatmate who isn't such a girl!

Plecs are good, but I like to have a bit of other action in the tank too.

My 4ft tank has tiger barbs and kribensis, it gives the tank a lot more action in the mid water. Them and the plecos all get along fine.

You are pretty much free to choose whatever other fish you want, as long as they can live togther. The plecos will usually just ignore the other fish and go about his armour plated way no matter what they do.

Cheers

Ian

Angelfish?

Some big plecos learn a bad habit of latching on to large flat fish like Angels and Discus and sucking the mucous off their skin. They dont all do it, and many people do keep them together with no problems. Just be aware of it so you can seperate them before the angels get to stressed out.

If you go with Angels, keep away from the smaller fish. Angels are true cichlids and when they get bigger neons and any guppy sized fish starts looking like a tasty snack.

Cheers

Ian