Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

tHEcONCH's Red Sea Max

Featured Replies

  • Author

Eeekkk!!! That's a good point - in fact now that you've jogged my memory I think I read somewhere that you use Palytoxin to make poison tipped darts / arrows - should you need some.

  • Replies 1.1k
  • Views 271.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe its like most things though, blown right out of proportion by a certain few, of which then other people listen and spread it round, until everyone believes (due to what internet research says because the internet is majorly opinionated) that its very easy to be poisoned.

If u stick ur hand with an open wound into the tank, or put ur fingers in ur mouth/eyes/anus after handling any type of coral, then u deserve to get poisoned. Common sense is the winner in this case :)

I believe its like most things though, blown right out of proportion by a certain few, of which then other people listen and spread it round, until everyone believes (due to what internet research says because the internet is majorly opinionated) that its very easy to be poisoned.

If u stick ur hand with an open wound into the tank, or put ur fingers in ur mouth/eyes/anus after handling any type of coral, then u deserve to get poisoned. Common sense is the winner in this case :)

True, but there are some out there who are unaware of these general common sense cleanliness things...

The slime off a Zoa or mushy is soo disgusting that you would definitely want to be washing your hands after handling them.

I believe a dog died after drinking the water..

Yeah I read that on an international forum (can't remember which one).

Yikes Reef, that link was a bit freaky - will be interesting to follow that post to see what it is confirmed as.

  • Author

I decided to 'blueprint' the skimmer at the weekend and make sure that everything was as it should be, and low-and-behold I discovered that the plastic sleeve of the impeller was cracked, allowing the magnet to move about - after fitting a new impeller, the performance of the skimmer is noticably better. Curiously though, both the old and new impellers had both of the pink end-cap bushes on the lower end, rather than one at each end to retain the ribber caps. Odd. Any other Max owners out there4 feel like pulling the intake off theirs and seeing if it is the same?

  • Author

I don't think it would - it looks a little too deep - the Deltec MC500 seems like the best (albeit pricey) option - in fact I wouldn't be suprised if the RSM was configured with that in mind at some point, a little like the Jewel tanks are. My only concern is trying to remove the glass veins for the standard skimmer - the last thing I need is a cracked tank. It would be nice to get the stock skimmer going properly.

I decided to 'blueprint' the skimmer at the weekend and make sure that everything was as it should be, and low-and-behold I discovered that the plastic sleeve of the impeller was cracked, allowing the magnet to move about - after fitting a new impeller, the performance of the skimmer is noticably better. Curiously though, both the old and new impellers had both of the pink end-cap bushes on the lower end, rather than one at each end to retain the ribber caps. Odd. Any other Max owners out there4 feel like pulling the intake off theirs and seeing if it is the same?

Yeah, ours is the same, It seems to me the two pink bushes are self-lubricating, thus act as a low friction underwater bearing.. Seems perfectly fine.

At $400 pounds I'd rather buy a chiller and save money :lol:

Expensive, isn't it?!! Don't worry, semiconductor chillers will come down in price soon, mark my words..

Well that's interesting Zhacque, Please post the odd update on the forum about that. I would like a nice semiconductor chiller if it was affordable.

Well that's interesting Zhacque, Please post the odd update on the forum about that. I would like a nice semiconductor chiller if it was affordable.

No worries! It's a relatively new technology, but it's opened up new doors in heating and cooling areas.. seen those fridges you can get at "large red retail outlets" that heat or cool? Same technology.

  • Author

Yeah, ours is the same, It seems to me the two pink bushes are self-lubricating, thus act as a low friction underwater bearing.. Seems perfectly fine.

Thanks for that - my skimmer is still not 100%, but definitely better. Good to know that the impeller is assembled correctly. :D

  • Author

A few shots of random night lurkers...

(sorry about the picture quality - my camera really isn't too good in low light)

RSM128.jpg

RSM129.jpg

RSM130.jpg

RSM131.jpg

RSM132.jpg

RSM133.jpg

RSM134.jpg

RSM165.jpg

Thats so cool!

Just outta interest, where did you get your liverock from?

Also, whats that thing coming out of the zoos?

  • Author

Most of the rock was just dead bits from the pile at Organism, but one smaller piece came from his holding / sales tanks. I assume the rest of the critters have just hitchhiked on corals and begun to populate the rest of the tank.

That dubious looking thing coming out of the zoos is some kind of worm, but I don't really know too much about it. It doesn't seem to do much other than wave around occasionally. :D

Speaking of Critters, I had a nosey in at Critter Kingdom on Stanmore the other day, and noticed a little hermit crab in their display tank. Like usual there was noone there that was able to answer the question of "is it for sale, can I have it and how much?"

Maybe I should've just reached in and grabbed it? LOL

  • Author

Yea, it seems strange that their marine tanks have 'NOT FOR SALE' scrawled over them in felt pen, yet they have info and a price list stuck down the side. Hard to tell. I think the big triangular tank was (is?) a display tank of sorts, but the others it is hard to know - and as you've noted, none of the staff seem to know what the story is either. You might just have to buy some Acro and get an Acro crab :D

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.