White Worm Culture

Devon

I use old potting mix same as Alan.

However I put them into an ice cream container (2l) with NO holes in the lid and they love it. Always nice and moist.

They sit on my kitchen bench so I see them and do not forget to feed them (same as the micros).

They love very thin slices of home baked wholemeal bread soaked in water. Very thin because then they have eaten it before it gets moldy!

Have tried Caryl's suggestion of luncheon meat but they were not impressed with any of the 5 types I bought for them ("...can I have one slice of chicken luncheon 96% fatfree please - and while you are at it also one of these other 4 types - yes just 1 slice of each - and yes every one in its own bag please so I know which is which - thank you..." :D )

I started with luncheon as I got my worms from Alanmin4304 and that was what he had been feeding them but they are now chowing down on southern grain McKenzie bread :roll: . They can plough through half a thick crust in 3 days or less. I think I might need to split mine too as I think I now may have too many in the box.

I tend to neglect my microworms and whiteworms but somehow they still survive. The microworms survived months of neglect. I think it was a combination of good luck and too much marmite.

I used to just throw some old fish flakes into the whiteworms container, lol. They didn't thrive but they did survive. I'm trying them on soaked bread now. I figured I'd better start taking better care of mine after seeing some healthy ones for sale at a pet shop. Hmm, I thought, maybe mine should look bigger and juicier like those ones.

• 2 months later...

Caryl, what lucky whiteworms you have! ;)

I have jsut recently started a culture and have been feeding mine mashed potato flakes.

I was fairly mortified buying them (what peasant uses mashed potato flakes, particularly BUDGET mashed potato flakes???) but that there were three different brands available was more disturbing.

I keep them in a jar with a plastic spoon beside the culture and sprinkle in a spoon full a day. Gets eaten really fast and doesn't go mouldy - no big lump of wet food waiting to be eaten :)

Mine love Pal Meaty Bites and moist Molenburg bread.. In the summer months I keep them in the fridge, they love it cool... keep them in general potting mix in ice cream container with a small round lid inside on top of the soil pressed down on the food, to keep the area firm and they love it, lift up the lid from the soil and they are everywhere, and breeding constantly.