GM fish are being killed

cichlid7

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is being kept open at this stage till admin decide on the danio issue on forums (now that maf have acted upon reports)... yet with such a new thread started there is arguments and what seems like personal attacks already :-? .. please keep it clean or it could end up locked if things get out of hand.

This is VERY bad news.

Importers are struggling to get ANY shipments cleared in Christchurch, for a number of reasons, (not necessarily directly related to this). Authorities are refusing to release shipments from two importers here.

The GM factor also makes it even worse from a public perception point of view (whatever the real risks are).

This won't help...

Hopefuly they will do the right thing and ring the 0800 number. I'd say that there will be an amnesty for a while and after that no leniency.

The important factor will be whether you want someone to nark on you for having them or do the responsible thing and declare them yourself?

There may not be anything specifically wrong with the pink fish directly but many people out there disagree with the whole idea of altering an organism. There has obviously been a rule made that New Zealand will not allow these fish into the country and thus they have said the fish is illegal. That is what is wrong with them at the moment. No-one has said they can stay and that means they have to go.

i just got a visit from Biosecurity they asked me if i had them as the found my phone number at the guy i know's place who bred them so they tried telling me i had them. Even when i said i did not have them they still said they had to look at all my tanks because they found my phone number.

Also watch out if you have normal danios with the glo danios they will want to kill them aswell

I'm just saying that they made the mistake they should pay for it. If you haven't had to deal with them on a number of issues you really don't know what happens. Premits to import Sheep and goats for central CHCH. Where is there brain at. No problem with not having these in NZ due to GE but lets play with the same ball.

I again come back to the issue of importing birds why chickens and not parrots. Both can bring in problems but they only allow chicken ins. How is this fair.

The next plane crash can be quite easly be dealt with by saying they did there best. Sure the people on the plain would be happy with that.

Free and Fair for all please

I'm just saying that they made the mistake they should pay for it. If you haven't had to deal with them on a number of issues you really don't know what happens. Premits to import Sheep and goats for central CHCH. Where is there brain at. No problem with not having these in NZ due to GE but lets play with the same ball.

I again come back to the issue of importing birds why chickens and not parrots. Both can bring in problems but they only allow chicken ins. How is this fair.

I agree, MAF don't even know how to regulate their own rear ends. In the mid 90's they did a big revision of the rules regarding importing plants, and it now operates on a similar basis to fish (ie there is an 'allowed' list rather than a 'not allowed' list). There are SOOOO many plants being grown by enthusiasts around the country that aren't allowed to be imported because they supposedly don't exist in NZ, and therefor aren't on the list.

Cashmere tropical-fish owners and breeders Tristan and Carissa Clements said they were surprised when Biosecurity officials told them their brightly coloured zebra danio fish were illegally genetically engineered.

I'm sorry, but if they were breeding these fish and onselling them (TradeMe), as I suspect they were, there is NO WAY that they would have known that they were not GM, due to the number of responses they got stating that they were.

GE fish owners treated 'like criminals'

Cashmere tropical-fish owners and breeders Tristan and Carissa Clements said they were surprised when Biosecurity officials told them their brightly coloured zebra danio fish were illegally genetically engineered

Auction is for two glow zebra danios, and four regular zebra danios

Neon red colour availiable only.

As far as I can tell, these are the only ones of these availiable in the country.

A very rare and spectacular fish, only imported once and I believe they are now banned from import.

These fish are suited to a passive community tank, and they are best in schools of six or more, although this auction is for only two glow danios, I will include 4 regular (leopard or zebra) danios to complete the school.

These fish were originally engineered to help environmentalists track polluted waterways, they flouresse under black light, and to some extent in sunlight. Although I have not seen it, according to some websites they will glow in the dark in the presence of pollution (I do not advise polluting your tank to see this effect) 8-)

Someone screwed up with the reporting ;)

the couple in the press that live in colombo st have lied about what they said.

They said they brought the glos from organism when the didn't because they got them from the guy that i know for $5 each.

they also said that they breed them which is not true all the fish they sell are brought from the guy i know and sold on trade me for 2 - 3 times the price.

Sorry i keep saying "the guy i know" but i don't want to give out his name.

there are other people on this forum who know this too