Sand for bearded dragons

have shied away from sand and use that grey flecked astro turf stuff,dosen`t look too bad and really easy to roll up and take outside and shake out,usually dry so not hard to do.Have seen tanks with sand and the proper reptile stuff is quite dear,also have heard of little ones picking up small stones etc and getting blocked up.

Good one Repto

I too use astro turf, easy to keep clean, have 2 pieces the same size.

let crap dry and vacumn up and hose down when too dirty.

get edges hemmed or melt with lighter to stop little fibres escaping.

extra piece under food dish means catch ffod from dish

can put heat pad down, then sand then astro turf

you dont have to worry about them ingesting substrate accidentally

if you fix sides stops bugs from disappearing too

your call

depends on the dragon, can compact in the gut and cause blockages sometimes, especially if temperature is down a bit and gut has slowed down, they dont digest sand or bark and have to pass it through the system

smaller dragon, smaller gut. small particles have a greater effect than in an adult

in the wild they do eat the odd foreign matter, but in the wild mortality of juveniles is really high

lizards constantly test their environment by licking substrate rocks etc

sticky foods or a partially squashed insect can have large amounts of sand adhering to them

Once saw a large saltwater crocodile suffer badly then die, after autopsy discovered 15 kgs of stones and a handbag in its gut

as repto said at 5 hundy better to be safe than sorry, but that is your call

sounds pretty good from Live art.Mine have no problem with the digestion of huge quantities of live food and various vegetable matter and no sand at all?Probably would be a good thing for their muscular development but still they won`t be getting any from me.

I know some of you guys keep quite a few dragons and i'm sure its easier with turf etc but once the dragons are old enough isn't it better to get as close to natural as possible, I can't think of anything better than a large realistic looking enclosure for reptles/amphilpians that comes as close to the real thing as possible.

I know some of you guys keep quite a few dragons and i'm sure its easier with turf etc but once the dragons are old enough isn't it better to get as close to natural as possible,

Agreed. However AFAIK a large portion of beardies natural habitat consists of rock and hard compacted dirt/sand, not loose sand.

heat pads under sand and that unnatural astro turf, need to keep pads dry as possible

have clearlite on back and roof and roll up clear plastic fronts

mesh floor under sand in case they burrow, they dig well

could try solar panel on roof and alkythene pipe under sand for heating as well

go outside in oct back in about march or april, when they slow down eating lets you know when to move them

you could do indoor / outdoor off conservatory or house or shed

the back garden is your oyster,

no disrespect to any shellfish on this forum intended

cool, outdoor enclosure, here was me thinking about a humble, modified rabbit hutch for summer. Cleaning tiles just with wet wipes or something similar and when they are older using sand then or that reptile sand, expensive tho.