Tank hose - your help please :o)

ken loach

I am trying to track down a long length of hose with a rubber fitting on the end that will plug onto the end of a regular sink tap. This is so I can make filling up my tank alot easier and have access to water at the right temp for my tank...

Might seem fairly simple...but it's not! Have discovered the rubber fitting bit - on makeshift shower heads at placemakers :o/ and the hose is like one metre long...I need at least 8 metres...

Any sudgestions on what I could use or where I could buy something like this from?

Anyone had this same problem?

ken loach said:-I am trying to track down a long length of hose with a rubber fitting on the end that will plug onto the end of a regular sink tap. This is so I can make filling up my tank alot easier and have access to water at the right temp for my tank...

ie - I cant just pump in water from a regular garden tap

hi ken, i went through this a few months ago and ended up getting a thing from the warehouse for a few dollars, and jimmyd it up with some of those irrigation fittings. have since stopped using this cause it kept popping off the tap and making a mess. :evil:

in my discus tank I just use cold water from the hose when only doing a 30% change. doesnt make a lot of difference to the temp as long as you dont blast it in there fast. some people may disagree but it works for me.

yeah also found one at an outlet of "the plastic box" - it's like a rubber sheath thing that you slide onto the tap nozzle and it has a hose coming off it that has a shower head thing on the end

not ideal and about 14 bucks - and yes, it keep popping off the tap

then you gotta go get the hose and stick it on

so far the cloth hose with the silcone job from bunnings sounds the best...

i rang jansens and hollywood - they said they used to import the exact thing i want but stopped bringing them in

why - i don't know

thanks for your reactions people!

someone could make some cash, there's an "untapped" market right there... *yuk yuk yuk* 8)

I have made one that works a treat. I started with a siphon thing from mikefish on trademe but the plastic didn't last so I made one up using the chrome fittings for a water filter connector. Screw off the filter on the kitchen tap and screw on the fitting then blend the water to the right temperature. I put one of those snap on garden fittings on and use the garden hose (out the kitchen window,around the house and in the lounge window) You need a fawcet.

If you attach the shower type rubber fitting to only one tap then run it for a second or so the attach the second tap you get rid of the air bubble that causes most of the popping off.

But you still have to add some patience and don't turn the tap on full.

For a longer hose just go to a hardware/plastic shop and you can buy clear hose of various diameters by the metre.

I have been thinking about getting something myself, cos bucketing just takes for ever!! I thought about looking into garden irigation hoses, or even a regular garden hose, but my kitchen tap is a mixer and has a screw at the bottom, so am hoping I can get a screw fitting to go on it and connect with a hose.

If you get a hose that goes quite soft when hot you might be able to heat it up under the tap and then force it onto the tap while its still warm, maybe you could get a short length of hose and do this and at the other end of the hose you could have a garden hose connector and connect up a longer length. Not sure how well that would work though

right just got it sorted!

this is what you do

go to mitre 10 mega (i went to the one on lincoln rd west ak)

go to the plumbing section and purchase a rubber tap fitting (like the ones on the shower head hose i mentioned - except here you can buy them on thier own for $6.00 saving $8.00 on the crappy shower head thing) then in the same section they got see thru rubber hoses on big reels - you choose your length (i got 8 metres) and they cut it off for ya...they got it in diff diameters too, so check it in regard to the plastic bit on the end of the rubber tap fitting that slips into it and make sure it fits...

and bingo go a very effecting hose for filling up the tank - mine works sweet! you can't turn the water on too high or the rubber bit pops off the tap tho...so test it to see how strong you can have your water on!

this cost me about $25

stress over!!!

If you attach the shower type rubber fitting to only one tap then run it for a second or so the attach the second tap you get rid of the air bubble that causes most of the popping off.

But you still have to add some patience and don't turn the tap on full.

For a longer hose just go to a hardware/plastic shop and you can buy clear hose of various diameters by the metre.

he he you are onto it!!!

i just bring my garden hose inside to do initial fill ups- for topups and water changes I use buckets.... simple... My Parents have got quite used to odd behaviour though- Last weeek I was emptying a 250 L tree frog tank so I had to wheel my wheelbarrow through the house multiple times to get rid of all the dirt!!! I had a trail of soil the whole length of the house!!! :lol:

• 1 month later...

I finally found something that works. It is called a super pump and attaches to your kitchen mixer tap, there are four adapters so it fits most and it will both drain and fill your tank. to drain you turn on your kitchen tap and that creates suction to pull the water through from your tank via hose. Then just twist the bottom of the super pump and it will fill instead of draining.

I used it in the weekend after buying a hose and some attachments for it from Bunnings and gravel vacced my tank and then re filled the tank without having to use a single bucket!! Fantastic it probably saved me a good 30-40mins.

I would recommend it to anyone whose tank is reasonably close to the kitchen or laundry. Mine is about 4-5 metres away from the kitchen tap.

I bought it from Mike's fishing shop here in chch but he also has an online store and it was only $23.50. I have never seen these anywhere else.

maybe u could hook up a double hose fitting from your washing machine plug?

Hey, that sounds like it might work for me.... can you get those? Any idea of how much? Or even what they are called?

Could even have a generic garden hose thing to screw on the current one without a 'double adapter'. Would involve unscrewing and rescrewing each time, but a LOT more convienient than running outside all the time, especially over winter.

The other two sinks in my house have those generic kitchen taps with the lever on top (no screw tap), so no convienient spout to shove something on. Are the bits and pieces everyone is talking about designed for screw taps or lever taps? (it does change the amount of 'shoving on' you can do).

I feel a trip to Bunnings coming on... Using the garden tap is about as annoying as lugging buckets.

Stella