Big Tanks and MTS

Joze

There are many people out there who have big tanks, there are also many people out there who should not have big tanks. Here are some basic points that people need to consider.

Are you responsible for the power bill?

Do you own the property?

Does anyone else live in the house?

Do you intend to move more than once a decade?

Are you a child of the household?

Do you have a home for your xos fish if you can no longer keep them?

It is important to think about other people, big tanks may be pretty but they are space and resource hungry. They can overpower rooms and leave little or no living space. If you dont own the property consider just how much the owner and/or flatmates appreciate your efforts. It is completely unreasonable to expect parents and landlords to risk their house and investment to a large fish tank when they dont want them there. Be considerate.

This is a polite way of saying dont get big tanks until you own your own home.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think people need to be guided on what to do and not what to do when it comes to their OWN personal decision on tanks... and their OWN business...

I am pretty sure most people out there choosing to have a big tank have had clearance by their landlords if renting, or from other house mates...

I think most of us are young adults here right through to older adults, and I am sure we all have a brain...

I agree with all of the above.

Also, I don't think someone would just go out and randomly buy an 8 foot tank without asking someone first (especially if it was a child living with their parents). If you live in a flat, you pay the rent to that house so you have the right to have a fish tank, no matter what the size (as long as the house can hold it of course).

Ok this is random lol coming out of the blue and playing mother to people telling them what they can and cant do? Sounds a bit random if your flatting and you buy a huge ass tank and nobody or the landlords like it you'll get kicked out..

If your at home your parents will likely tell you its too big if you didn't ask them first..

And in both cases you'll mostly need either of their help to move it into the house especially if your still at home.

Either way if people are setting up a big tank they will know how much it costs and the implications etc of it.

I also rent my house and ive got 4 tanks around 540litres and about 15 others around the place so no worries about that and yes ive just moved form Auckland it was hard but no reason for me not to have tanks.

I guess this is just a polite way of saying that people will do what they want with their money and learn if they happen to make a mistake.

If you live in a flat, you pay the rent to that house so you have the right to have a fish tank, no matter what the size (as long as the house can hold it of course).

This isn't always true as I know a few landlords in my time and friends who own rentals who won't allow big tanks in their properties due to damage from weight or leaks, but then again you can also check if your insurance will cover damages caused by a large tank before you get it.

IMO The purpose of the thread is a "Use your common sense and think it through" post, making sure people think it through thoroughly before getting a large tank as there is nothing worse than mustering troops to move it in, to then have to do so again in a short space of time to move it out again.

I guess this is just a polite way of saying that people will do what they want with their money and learn if they happen to make a mistake.

I agree there, but isn't the forum here to help people, and in my mind helping someone avoid a costly mistake with a large tank is helping someone, therefore the thread is useful and shouldn't of copped this much flack but instead been added to with other points and experiances that would make this a helpful and interesting thread, rather than just tearing it apart because it is common sense.

Yes it may be common sense, BUT I also know a heck of alot of people who wouldn't have the foggiest on what common sense is.

B

Yes it may be common sense, BUT I also know a heck of alot of people who wouldn't have the foggiest on what common sense is.

I know what common sense is or rather who he was but he's sadly passed away, Bit off the topic of the thread but in these times sums up the way I think things have gone. It's always some one else's fault!!

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly Student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they failed to do in disciplining their unruly children

It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticky plaster to a student; but, could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realised he was gone.

If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing

IMO The purpose of the thread is a "Use your common sense and think it through" post, making sure people think it through thoroughly before getting a large tank as there is nothing worse than mustering troops to move it in, to then have to do so again in a short space of time to move it out again.

I agree there, but isn't the forum here to help people, and in my mind helping someone avoid a costly mistake with a large tank is helping someone, therefore the thread is useful and shouldn't of copped this much flack but instead been added to with other points and experiances that would make this a helpful and interesting thread, rather than just tearing it apart because it is common sense.

B

Maybe it could have been written like we are all equalls instead of like we are all morons then

Maybe it could have been written like we are all equalls instead of like we are all morons then

Totally in agreeance.. I don't think it should be a case of posting like "Camp Mother", there are ways and means of posting without actually coming across like people are halfwits... ;)

This is a polite way of saying dont get big tanks until you own your own home

then most of use wouldn't have tanks, then the hobby would suffer. This is also my polite way of saying dont tell people what they can & cant do, if this thread was intented to help & have useful info it would have been about 2 lines worth. nice fishing by the way :wink:

Mystic...

I think the following...

It is completely unreasonable to expect parents and landlords to risk their house and investment to a large fish tank when they dont want them there. Be considerate.

I think it is up to the people at the time, if landlords and parents are happy for large tanks to be in their homes then so be it... I don't think it should have been directed as landlords and parents overall, everyone has different situations...

And no body needs to be told the above, once again it comes to common sense and people going about their own business....

It would have been great if the post had have just been left at the pointers ie power consumtion, space etc, the other bit just didn't need to be said, so it got past being informative...

Nobody is slamming Joze at all, it all comes down to freedom of speech and people can debate or disagree, as long as it is kept in a polite manner :D

Have a feeling this may well turn into one :lol:

Thats fine point taken, but instead of taking it far as it was taken, why ignore the statement made:

Quote:

And continue it on being an informative posting, then the last comment would of faded into obscurity and been forgotten, leaving a nice healthy helpful post.

We need to stop reading into posts as a personal dig, or with an opiniated view, and just see the general post.

It would have been great if the post had have just been left at the pointers ie power consumtion, space etc, the other bit just didn't need to be said, so it got past being informative...

As you have statedf Afrikan, it would of been fine without the last comment, so do as I do and ignore it, as I have said and you have said it is a helpful post except that line, so ignore it.

B

A valid point was regarding 'where will your adult fish go', which comes back to 'research fish before you buy' and pet stores should make sure customers understand what their new pet is (many do these days).

We're in a rental, with over 2000 litres of water in the house, not a problem at all, in fact the landlord is over at the moment repairing a roof for us right now. As long as you dont damage the property its fine, and this is where the real key is - weither its a big tank or a little tank, in rental properties always watch out for your carpet, dont let water sit underneath stands because the carpet WILL rot. This coincides with Joze's point on being considerate.

While I'm in agreeance, I did find the way it was said very condescending.

Sorry if my last reply bothered you Ballistic, however, when I read a post I read the WHOLE post.. I didn't seem to be the only person rattled by it.. ;)

This whole thing is a not a case of.... "Release the Hounds!" :roll: it is only merely stating how we felt about what was said... as I said, freedom of speech...