REPEAT AFTER ME...

Caryl

I have no problem with the way people post as long as they are trying to use correct English.

I don't even bother reading posts from people who write in 'Text' notation. Texts have completely butchered the English language. If people can't be bothered to try to write words correctly and use punctuation (like full-stops) then I can't be bothered reading their dribble...

Well said. It appears most are in favour of the degradation of the English language... why? I use txt language in txts or if I'm in a hurry in emails but I also know the correct way of spelling most things; maybe it's a worry that society forgets how to spell anything as it should be, but then again English is always transforming so if you can derive the meaning from it then maybe that's okay too.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even bother reading posts from people who write in 'Text' notation. Texts have completely butchered the English language. If people can't be bothered to try to write words correctly and use punctuation (like full-stops) then I can't be bothered reading their dribble...

I believe you should have a comma in there after the word punctuation 8)

Yea, i try to spell things correct, and write nicely but sometimes i just try to write too fast :) The new Mozilla firefox that im using does have a built in spell checker thingy like word does, so it underlines your word if you get it wrong. So handy! I dont bother reading posts that are hard to understand :lol:

I dun mind how people type, as long as it is readible, and they use full stops to break up their words! lol!

What? Do. You. Mean. Like. This. Mystic?

I. Think. You. Mean. You. Don't. Mind. How. People. Type. As Long. As. It. Is. Readable. And. They. Use. Fullstops. To. Break. Up. Sentences! Lol!

yeah you mean senttences rather than words :lol:

Warren

i dont write in text notation but the decision not to read their dribble may be excluding you from another view at something when it could be very helpful. i need to learn as much as i can so i listen to everyones story no matter how they communicate it, then i can make an informed decision. maybe with your experience you may not need the help but they are definately not getting your valuable input.

Smidey

I am not in favour of text language either, infact, it is so common now that I am sure it's going to be seen as a different language! I think as long as it is kept within texting then fine, actually I have shortened texts alot in the past if I am in a hurry etc, but unfortunately it is seeping out into other things. A lady I know, who is a teacher, she told me that now kids are starting to use it in English etc at schools... Shame really, we were gifted with ability to have a language to communicate with one another, why ruin it?

I am by far not perfect with punctuations at times, use alot of commas when maybe there should be a full stop....??? but then again, I talk away and don't often have full stops in my speech anyway :lol: :lol:

Warren

i dont write in text notation but the decision not to read their dribble may be excluding you from another view at something when it could be very helpful. i need to learn as much as i can so i listen to everyones story no matter how they communicate it, then i can make an informed decision. maybe with your experience you may not need the help but they are definately not getting your valuable input.

Smidey

Don't care. I dislike text notation that much... I don't even send text messages (maybe sent a total of 6 then stopped - no more!!). If someone sends me a text I call them back. I'd rather speak to them.

Text notation has it's place for those who wish to send text messages. In my opinion that's where it should stop. Otherwise the quality of the language we speak now will drop. People are constantly being taught to accept lower quality and it has to stop somewhere. Since our language is relatively important, like air and food, it needs to be preserved in a similar manner.

Shame really, we were gifted with ability to have a language to communicate with one another, why ruin it?

That's the crux of it, can we still understand each other? And if we can well isn't that the point of language in the first place? Certainly what will be lost is a lot of intended meaning, for example emphasis on words is achieved through italics, how many people know that or would bother now when writing anything? It's weird, in the past I knew spellings of words straight off, now I often look them up to check it's right, mainly those dang "i" before "e" ones. Written English is construed to replicate how we speak, like Mystic was saying it helps create pause and break up ideas. Now what happens to the way we talk....... anythink could happen :roll:

definitely (I not A)

Ant's lesson has been forgotten already doh!

Also it's sentence, not sentance :)

Do you read the newspaper Warren? There's the odd mistake but I find the standard very high for grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Note here how I used a comma before the word "and", you would've been taught at school not to use one; however, you should because it breaks up the two last points, i.e it's not "spelling and punctuation", it's "spelling, and punctuation", they are two separate things. They must teach the same thing overseas as I see it incorrect on the net often. Not everyone does the PR writing stuff at university though.

Hi All, :oops: (Capital)

Warren said ((oops) posted) one thing that is relevant.

the ENGLISH LANGUAGE HAS BEEN BUTCHERED.

One thing is for certain though, (Ask any foreigner that can speak English) the English language by it's very design is a "BASTARD" language (and I had to pass it for UE) and has no gender and the spelling is apalling. And the meanings of the spoken word can cause all sorts of confusion.

See, Sea, C.

FUNNY:

If you take two letters out of a three letter word the meaning is the same.

What is the word? I know, so think about it.

Those three alone can when spoken can have a foreigner looking at you sideways.

WRITE THINGS HOW THEY SOUND AND THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEMS

USE THE WOK / AMAZONIAN DIKSHINRY MORE (or is it moor) ((Sorry I dont want to tie up a boat, or go walking in Scotch paddocks) OFFIN and SMILE AND LARF AT LIFE.

:hail::bow: :bounce: :hail::bow: :bounce: :hail:

FUNNY:

If you take two letters out of a three letter word the meaning is the same.

What is the word? I know, so think about it.

Yo-u

I know that davidb. Reread the above. I was replying to his question :) To clarify, he meant what three letter word can you remove two letters from and it still have the same meaning.

i cant read txt at all, It comes with the dyslexic territory (2 'r's or 1 'r' ???)

in fact if people could write everything as they say it. Sortof like WOK / Amazonian language i would be able to read it better and i wont get sore eyes :D....

please excuse any letters in the wrong order my brain gets confused :) and i cant tell if some letters are in the wrong order. maybe i should get my mum to check all my posts for me like she does with my uni work...

:o