October 28, 200619 yr comment_128075 ...well you know how zeovit works... how hard it is to control... Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128088 Now would that happen be speculative or anecdotal accusation Layton? Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128094 Chimera has been very honest about his problem, good on him! He is hardly the first person to have had problems, just been the most open about it. Lots of tanks zeovit or not have had problems, the person sometimes keeps it quite Layton. Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128100 Now just to throw a spanner in the works, a cat amongst the pigeons, more random speculation amongst reefers....I have been dosing vodka now for about 4 months. I had some nuisance browny slimey wispy algae (not sure what that would be in latin) I used the usual 1ml per 100l split into two doses a day. It seemed to clean everything up except a few bits that kept a foothold through some zooanthids. As per usual in reefing the result was two edged - some LPSs seemed to flourish more, some of my 'originals' seemed to keep more retracted. I noticed a slight loss of colour around the edges of some my SPSs (in my relatively high nutrient tank there was always plenty of colour but 'dull'). I stopped dosing vodka 3 days ago and the LPS corals I was worried about are expanding more... :-? What do I like more...or less... Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128103 Vodka is a rough tool. It will reduce nutrients, but can affect some organisms negatively. As it is beneficial in terms of nutrient reduction, how about instead of stopping altogether, reduce the amount & attempt to find the level that will not negatively affect your softies? Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128106 I stopped dosing vodka a couple of weeks ago, certainly reduced nutrients and the slime algae I was having problems with, but was causing my acros to lighten so stopped. Must say that my tanks looking the best it has at present, so go figure. Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128108 Vodka is a rough tool. It will reduce nutrients, but can affect some organisms negatively. As it is beneficial in terms of nutrient reduction, how about instead of stopping altogether, reduce the amount & attempt to find the level that will not negatively affect your softies? couldnt have said that better if i'd have tried!!! nice one WASP!! Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128109 Vodka is a very good tool IMO. As you can see it has its purposes for temporary tank cleaning and if used permanently should be dosed sparingly. I swear by it. Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128121 I agree! Holy moly!!! Three posts in a row where reefers agree on something! :lol: Yup, gotta stick to 'only bad things happen fast' mantra so will decrease vodka until it aids the process at the right level. If cyano is a bacteria - would the vodka actually assist its reproduction as well as the other 'good' bacteria? Or are we relying on the cyano being immobile and all the waterborne bacteria taking it up first? Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128126 what about vinegar as the only "added" carbon source? instead if vodka, in conjunction with kalkwasser! Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128127 Check this, 14 posts down, by Sharkey. One of the most useful posts out. Have also used this method myself to clean up several dirty tanks, does work. http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/2-vt13 ... c&start=15 Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128132 shaneo has about half a doz of my acro's. he noted today that his own brown staghorn is looking a little bleached at the base. could there be something more to this than just UV? could it be possible the acro's are sending out something in the water as they expell zoox? any ideas? Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128151 Years ago on sites like RC, bacteria were commonly blamed, although I don't think anyone really know for sure. Probably more likely it's other factors, then bacteria may get involved after the damage is done. Only other thing that could be transmittable would be bugs such as red bugs, or some kind of nudi. Have you had a real close look, preferably with a good magnifying glass? But me, I think it is something to do with the carbon / lighting / water thing, but having said that I still don't know what actually caused it when I had somewhat similar problem in my tank, never could figure it out. Although I know what Layton's thinking! :lol: Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128155 Although I know what Layton's thinking! :lol: :lol: I feel real bad watching the Zoox just falling off with the current, amazing how fast it happens. Hey Chim your fav. sps is still sweet and lps/zoos are sweet as Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128158 Although I know what Layton's thinking! :lol: I bet you don't Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128160 amazing how fast it happens hell yes! remember the large acro back right that you saw i think friday night and looked like it might survive? it's now fully bleached. seriously going to use this as an excuse to rip out half the rock work and start again! that will probably include getting rid of the centre piece "feature". would be nice to hold onto for the upgrade (when it happens ) but i think i want to minimise rock this time and create more diverse asymmetrical structures. I bet you don't let me guess, the increase in iron content from the zeovit has created a lunar eclipse causing extra gravititational pull on the moon making it travel out of it's usual orbit and causing it to crash into the sun which has directed a perfect ray through space and into my tank burning the acro's. and you wondered why you hadn't seen the moon lately... Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128161 could it be possible the acro's are sending out something in the water well it sems to inhibit leather/soft coral growth so i can't see why it could not have an impact on sps Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128164 You mean bacteria? Yes they will kill leathers & softies but normally only after they got damaged. Report
October 29, 200619 yr comment_128166 let me guess, the increase in iron content from the zeovit has created a lunar eclipse causing extra gravititational pull on the moon making it travel out of it's usual orbit and causing it to crash into the sun which has directed a perfect ray through space and into my tank burning the acro's. and you wondered why you hadn't seen the moon lately... Yeah, that's more or less along the lines of what I was thinking. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.