Hatching brine shrimp

alanmin4304

We have a little blue scoop which we found somewhere. I can't remember where it came from or what it was for but we worked out it held about 1 tablespoon of rock salt. So when we start a new batch of shrimp we just measure out the litre of water and 1 scoop of salt.

Our most successful shrimp hatches are when we follow the instructions exactly as mentioned on the card that comes with the san fransisco bay shrimp. i have played around with a couple of different methods of hatching shrimp and so far i still have to swear by the coke bottle. :hail:

Where would us fish keepers be without coke bottles???

Try this link, it will tell you just how much salt there is in natural sea water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_water

When hatching brineshrimp, I use normal sea water. Water collected out of Tauranga can be in the range 1024-1.030 have the temp between 26-28 (prefer 28) and they will hatch within 18-24 hours depending on brand. I use exclusivley SFB.

Note: do not use iodised salt to hatch BS, they won't hatch well at all.

BSG

1.030 is the SG of the sea water Alan.

I don't know what that ratio works out to cause I get mine from the Ohiwa harbour.

Try doing google on Brine Shrimp Direct, they have a good information section in that.

For just hatching them no additions are neccessary, but to raise them up, more salts are required.

Alan 104

• 1 month later...

How do they manage to prevent salt water from mixing with fresh water and still allow brine shrimp out?

I could not figure out from looking at the pictures. Unless shrimps can walk over a dry area (which they can't), it appears to contravene the second law of thermodynamics.