setting up my new aro tank (alot of pics 56k warning)

evil_elmo

here is my new aro tank and stand which i got Tim from inside Oceans to make for me, its a 6x3x2 which holds about 1000L...THANKS TIM!

DSCF0119.jpg

DSCF0122.jpg

with Tim's help we moved the tank from his place to my place

DSCF0126.jpg

tank inside the house on a super well braced and soild metal stand

DSCF0140.jpg

DSCF0139.jpg

i started to add the sand, which took my girlfriend about 6 hours to wash and what a mission it was to clean 3 BIG bags of sand, a BIG thank you to her

DSCF0143.jpg

also i picked up a piece of driftwood, its about 4.5ft long and stands about 1.5ft high

DSCF0148.jpg

during all this poor junior had no one to play with him

DSCF0150.jpg

all the sand added and driftwood in place

DSCF0154.jpg

DSCF0156.jpg

DSCF0158.jpg

in goes the water

DSCF0159.jpg

damn driftwood floats so had to sink it down

DSCF0161.jpg

going to use the FX5 from my 5ft

DSCF0163.jpg

tank filled, FX5 in place

DSCF0069.jpg

and the last photo is my aro which i took about 2 weeks ago when i moved his tank to a different part of the room to make way for the 6ft

will update this post as i go, But i would like to say a big thank you to TIm for making me this awesome tank :bow:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've put two 300watt heaters in last night at 9pm and its now 6.45pm and the temp is only 21deg, i have noticed both heaters are constantly on but the water temp hasnt gone up much

going to put a silver dollar in as my water testing fish...i'm sure he will be fine..

1 fire eel - will prolly get eaten cause it could be seen as a worm! (lol!)

3 bristlenose cats (2 females 1 male) - Careful! They like to eat these at night!

1 unknown cat fish - Unknown? Hehehe! Any pix?

9 6-7cm discus - Nooooooooo! Discus! (IMO) thats not a good idea at all? :o:o:o:o

they all grew up together in a 3ft tank so they get along fine

my aro doesnt eat anything but pellets, tried shrimps, worms...etc and he doesnt eat them, he got bullyed by the discus when he first went into the tank ....the discus are getting taken out once they are about 10cm

i have no idea what kind of catfish it is, maybe a loach cat or something like that...will try and get a pic

i got the tank and stand together so not sure how much just the tank is....pm inside oceans on the forum and he will be able to tell you how much just the tank costs

discus and aro are cool but will take the discus out to put in fish that can grow to a giant size later :D

oh dude u have got one awsome tank man im drooling just looking at the pics

hmmm think i mite have to sell the bike and get me a 6 or 8 foot now damm ur tank is nice and that arowana brilliant :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

oh yea one other thing have you had the stand primed and painted cause water and steel dont mix

thanks for the comment everyone

here is another update

i measured my stand and went down to a hardware shop and got them to cut up some 9mm MDF for me

i sanded the board so its smooth and i then painted it with a white undercoat

DSCF0165.jpg

the colour i choose was "mouse ear" by taubmans which i got in satin enamel for hard wearing

DSCF0167.jpg

first coat

DSCF0166.jpg

i painted it with two coats

DSCF0169.jpg

to attach to my metal frame i got some cardboard door catchs

DSCF0215.jpg

i screwed down one part to the metal frame and the other part onto the MDF

DSCF0216.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg

final product

DSCF0218.jpg

DSCF0222.jpg

everything went well and i can just pull of the covers and click them back on, so i'm happy with my DIY project

• 4 weeks later...