Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Moonlight

Featured Replies

Been looking at these wondering if it could be used for a DIY moonlight effect.

http://www.pctronix.co.nz/product_info.php?cPath=43_50&products_id=3222

The idea is not novel, but a couple of things to consider.

- For the LEDs to be closer to the tank, the airflow will be up and away from the tank surface i.e. it'll suck air away from the surface

- How many would be neededd for a decent amount of light on a 5 foot tank.

I'm thinking of doing a 2x3 bank and mounting them between my lumenarc reflectors.

Any thoughts?

I dont know why would you want the fan? I have got one of these in my computer case I got for $12 so the price seems a little steep esp for the numbers your talking they also dont throw stuff all light just a glow. Well my cheap one doesn't anyway.

  • Author
I dont know why would you want the fan? I have got one of these in my computer case I got for $12 so the price seems a little steep esp for the numbers your talking they also dont throw stuff all light just a glow. Well my cheap one doesn't anyway.

How many LEDs on your casefan? These have 4, but yes, just getting the LEDs may be a better alternative.

I bought one of those fans from dicksmith, to cool my tank from my halide. I removed the LEDs and they do throw out not a bad amount of light, not while they are in the fan though.

Yeah ours only has 3 leds in it.. But for $12 its not a bad price for the leds I guess and you can just run them off a computer supply which you will find for stuff all somewhere..

Here is what I have mounted as a "night light" in my bedroom tank 20 US Gal Tall. I just bought one of the single light sets for now but in the link below scroll down and there is a "hub" that allows added "light only" to be added for less $ and plugs if you need more then one in a tank.

Marina® Micro LED Light Set

And No I don't shop at P3Tdumb was just easiest to link heheh

Here is what a single white led of these looks like no flash with the main tank and room lights off..

Clickie on Me for Pic!!!

Addition EDIT..

Forot to link pic with light on for ya to see what harware looks like under water. Clickie HERE The unit suction cups to the inside of the tank for subdued light or outside for a brighter "beam" effect. Personally I like it inside but I do plan to move it a lil higher on the back when I get a chance.

The cheapest thing to use for Moonlight are those solar garden lights, I put them by the window during the day to charge them and normally last for few hours at night, its free power and they are cheap nowadays, 8 for $20 in the Warehouse.

That's an Idea I hadn't thought of but would think they look bulky and such and bit of hassle having to move em around.. but is a thought for sure..

If you are technically minded and have a good nick in pulling apart things (aren't we all) you can modify it, you can separate the bulb and battery from the solar panel and mount the panel permanently by your window and the bulbs and batteries on the tank. You can put a switch as well so it does not light up automatically at night.

If you are technically minded and have a good nick in pulling apart things (aren't we all) you can modify it, you can separate the bulb and battery from the solar panel and mount the panel permanently by your window and the bulbs and batteries on the tank. You can put a switch as well so it does not light up automatically at night.

If you're going to do that, why bother with putting the panels near a window? Throw them near your tank lights.:)

Sorry to hijack this topic, but anyone think this will provide good lighting for a small'ish tank?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling ... 705771.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Tools/Other/auction-71582614.htm

much better option IMO can get them at the warehouse etc as well. A single will light up a 50L tank just fine.

  • 2 weeks later...

Well last weekend I added 3 blue leds mentioned in my reply above to my main tank.. here is the pics I took last night..

http://www.mentoria.on.ca/fish/images/blue1.jpg

http://www.mentoria.on.ca/fish/images/blue2.jpg

http://www.mentoria.on.ca/fish/images/blue3.jpg

http://www.mentoria.on.ca/fish/images/blue4.jpg

The actual tank isn't as bright as the pic due to exposure times etc to actually see something decent in a pic.

  • 1 year later...

Just bought a small 240V desk lamd and a "GU10" LED bulb to go with it for $35.00 all up !

The light / beam on this bulb is not to bright so it should be okay for a night light.

Im going to chuck a timer on this and have it turn on 5 minutes before the main lights go out.

I should then be able to gawk at my fish with the house and main tank lights out and see what they get up to at night.

Transformer Output Volt: 12V

Power: 2Watts

12 x Blue LED

Functions:

• This product can create rhythmic glitter and shimmering effects like the moon. Its special luminance promotes lunar spawning cycles in corals and reef life. It also illuminates the aquarium so that the natural nocturnal behaviors of tank inhabitants can be observed.

• It comes with automatic light sensor, it goes on at night and off at day time. (Or when your main light go off) So you won't need an extra timer on this.

• You can either hang the moon light on the wall/hood or just stic

its about 70$ here in nz

Just bought a small 240V desk lamd and a "GU10" LED bulb to go with it for $35.00 all up !

The light / beam on this bulb is not to bright so it should be okay for a night light.

Im going to chuck a timer on this and have it turn on 5 minutes before the main lights go out.

I should then be able to gawk at my fish with the house and main tank lights out and see what they get up to at night.

WOW THIS LIGHT IS REALLY NICE, ITS NOT VERY BRIGHT AND ALL THE FISH SEEM TO LIKE IT, RECOMENDED TO THOSE ON A BUDGET OR THOSE NOT TECHNICALY MINDED.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.