Allowed plants in NZ

lorenceo

now as some of u know i had run in with maf and bio security and when they were around the maf ppl have these handy books that has all the plants allowed and not allowed in NZ with full detail like picture, common name, scientific name and ways to identify........

i had a good read though every time their around doing their thing and they said the book is available to the public now i was wondering maybe a president or someone along that line here can get hold of one and load it to this site????? :D:D

I have one but it would be a very big job to load on here. The book is called the 'Pest Plant Manual' and is available for about $10.00 from most regional councils.

This webpage: http://www.ew.govt.nz/enviroinfo/pests/plants/index.htm shows what the front cover of the book looks like but the link does not work any more. There used to be an online version of this manual. Maybe it's been removed to be updated.

I'll ask biosecurity what's up and post a new link if it exists...

Check out this URL from MAF which shows you which plants are allowed in NZ, but you have to know the name of the genus.

http://www1.maf.govt.nz/cgi-bin/bioindex/bioindex.pl

Cheers, cesarz

That cant be very recent. Things that can be easily bought at lfs's arent on it.

Limnophila sessiliflora for example.

Would be great to have an up to date list, as having things that aren't on the illegal list isn't as safe as you might think..

I've been in touch with Biosecurity NZ. The reason the Pest Plant Manual is not available on their website is because it's being updated.

They will email me when it's ready and I'll add a sticky at the top of the Aquatic Plants thread with a link to the information. The biosecurity website is difficult to navigate at the best of times so an easy link should help.