National Fish Shows

Warren

Any fish can be entered aslong as it is your fish so it can be brought, bred or maybe found :D:D

If you are wanting a tank for the furnised aquaria section just note it on your enterie form and the Waikato club will try its best to supplie on for you

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers, I think hubby was not aware that i shouldn't need a tank or anything while i am up there as the fish i take up will be in the show. I think he was thinking of me needing a tank in the motel unit for fish.

What you will see at the national fishshow

After the waikato team met at the gardens last week I can now give you all a outline of displays at the national fishshow. Use your imagination :D

As you enter the venue you will be greeted by our host The Waikato Aquarium Soc

You will see the first of 3 ponds on display this will have a few hundred goldfish that are able to be caught and taken home. Behind the pond there will be 2 goldfish display tanks.

Next is the Turtle pond which will have snake neck and red eared turtles in it then you will see 2 reptile displays which will include water dragons, bearded dragons, blue tongue lizards and box turtles.

The next pond will have the unusaul grass and silver carp which have a little bit of size to them :D:D .

A bank of 5 native tanks is been set up you will find gaint kokopu, inanaga, mud fish , ghost shirps and freshwater grayfish. The DOC are setting up a display promoting our new zealand waterways but also raising aquatic pest awareness.

The NZKA stand is next with hopefully a few killifish and smaller fish that are entered for the show. Beside them is our friends from the National Aquarium of New Zealand who i am sure will delight us with there display promoting the Aquarium. There may be a suprise here :D

You will find a cup of colour beside them with a different display of sub tropical butterflies. One of our favourite retailers world of water are setting up shop here that I am sure will further promote our hobby.

Pet magazine NZ will be there taking alot of photos and setting up there stand. During the fishshow there is also a Waikato river exibition held at the Waikato museum so they will be there promoting this event.

Then we have the Dave Cooper from Mahurangi Tech encourging people to learn more about all aspects of aquatics via the course that I have heard is well worth while run by them.

The Waikato / FNZAS table will be here promoting our hobby and the FNZAS. We will aslso have raffles and the entries of the colouring comp on display here. We are also looking at setting up six different types of aquariums to give the public a idea of the different types of fish and tanks that could be set up in there own homes.

This along with the national fishshow stands that i hope will be fill of the many types of fish will go along way to promoting our hobby that we all enjoy

Please support this event

Dave Dalziel :D:D

Hi,

For all of you fellow fish keepers that will be entering the national fish show we have now got the Saturday night dinner and prize giving venue confirmed.

This will be held at:

Ruakura Social Club Rooms,

Ruakura Research campus,

Hamilton,

Starting at 7pm.

Dinner will cost:

$25.00 per Adult

$12.50 under 12 years old.

Free under 5 years old.

There is a bar on site which will be open till late at your own expense.

After dinner we will be holding the prize giving.

You can pay with you entry fee, just let Richard Littin know what you have payed for, or you can pay before benching.

Numbers will need to be confirmed for the dinner one week before hand.

There will be more details sent out to all clubs A.S.A.P.

Hope to see you all there,

Helen and Shane.

I'd be interested in coming down on Saturday for the dinner, and meeting people, and then having a look @ stuff on Sunday, but i'm only on a restricted licence... Sooo, anyone live in Hamilton that can supply me with a couch for the night?

(I don't have any "showfish" whatsoever...)

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update

entries have started arriving so get in quick as there is only 400 tanks available.

First in gets the tanks, so if you don't want to miss out get your entries in quick.

You can pay for Saturday nights dinner at benching or with your entry fees.

either way let us no you intend to have dinner and how many of you there will be so we can finalize the numbers.

Anything else you need to know don't hesitate to ask as there is always someone around the website who will answer any questions that you may have.

Cheers

Helen :D

Guest Anonymous

Thats a bummer about the auction, i was coming down for a nosey and maybe buying fish, but i won't be staying for the auction now as it would mean traveling back for a second day and thats just a waste of money,

why not auction and let people take fish home or have the auction on the monday so people can leave with what they buy

I suggest you allow early debenching under some circumstances or you might find people do not enter due to not being able to leave early enough on the last day to arrive home at a sensible hour... We did this at the 2004 HB show and it only effected about a dozen exhibits out of 200+

Guest Anonymous
That will be okay that if the auction fish weren't in show. If they are purchaser will have to wait till debenching :D

The auction the day before work great for people that live close, but people from out of town coming for a look, won't want to be there for 2 day, you might miss sale or not get as much for the fish as you want

if i come down, it will only be for one day, probably like a lot of other people, so auction same day as fish came leave might be better :lol:

Just a suggestion :wink:

Had further discussions in regards to debenching fish early. We will deal with entries on a case by case base as people that have got further to travel may like to leave eariler. In regaurds to fish that are entered in the show and also for auction on the sunday night we would prefer that they stay on display untill monday but agian will be on a case by case base. Our focus is the national fishshow and the thought of fish being debenched before the show finshes is a hard decision.Don't think it would be a good look seeing a empty with a first place sticker on it while the show is still running but as i said before we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Guest Anonymous

would it not be simpler to move auction to the monday so sales and pickups are same day ?

that way people could wait till the end to pick the fish up, hang round a few hours rather than come back a second day :bounce:

If its any help, I use to show Budgies and at one show that I was not entered to, I couldnt get to have a loo untill the last day.

Debenching was at 4pm and we were there at about 2pm and must say that I was extreamly dissapointed to see so many empty spots.

It is far to late to start changing times days etc as bookings have been made and it we did have the auction on monday it would be to much as you can only imagine what is already involded with dissasembling stands tanks, etc :D:D

Hi Everyone

After concerns that had been raised about the upcoming fishshow we have made the following changes

Judging is going to be done on the Saturday afternoon allowing fish to settle into tanks and show there full potential

Prize giving has been moved to Sunday evening before the auction

We have expanded a couple of classes into more sub classes therefore adding more variety to show. A updated class list will be out within the next couple of days

There still will be a social dinner at the Ruakura clubrooms on the Saturday evening

We do hope this settles concerns and look forward to seeing you all here for the national fishshow

Thanks

Dave :hail:

Sorry about the small delay but we just wanted to make sure of our final decsions. Please read cover letter and final update of classes etc.

Please keep entries coming in and look forward to seeing everyone there

Thanks

Dave :D:D

The Waikato Aquarium Society fish show team and the FNZAS Executive have discussed a number of concerns regarding the initial plans for the Entry and Judging of your fish at the show. In order to provide the best possible environment for the Judging of your entries it has been decided that the Judging will take place on the Saturday afternoon/evening - rather than early Saturday morning. This will not only allow all fish more time to settle in and display at their best, but will also facilitate a better quality of Judging. The Judges will have more time to ensure that they judge each entry as it deserves, plus they also will have had the chance to rest after a long days travel to the show.

Also attached is a full listing of all classes available at the show, as well as a list of the Trophies up for grabs. Hopefully this will both answer any questions that you may have had regarding classes, as well as to stimulate you to enter as many classes as possible.

Your participation is key to the success of the show, so if you have any questions please contact one of The Waikato Aquarium Society fish show team who will do their best to help you:

Dave Dalziel davenet@paradise.net.nz

Shane Gallop shanegz@hotmail.com

Richard Littin rlittin@gmail.com

Helen Gallop hels_shane@hotmail.com

Look forward to seeing you (and your fish) there

Kevin Rowe

Judges and Standards

FNZAS

Classes available for Entry

All Furnished aquaria may be plus or minus 2.5cm of the above sizes. Like to see interclub competition happening but as you will see we have allowed for individual entries

Aa Club Tropical Freshwater Size 60cm x 40cm x 30cm

Ab Club coldwater Freshwater Size 60cm x 40cm x 30cm

Ad Individual Trop Freshwater Size 45cm x 25cm x 25cm

Ae Individual Cold Freshwater Size 45cm x 25cm x 25cm

Af Individual marine tank Size 45cm x 25cm x 25cm

Ag miniature aquariums Size 25cm x 20cm x 15cm

Al Individual Novelty Aquascape Size 45cm x 25cm x 25cm

B Barb includes all Barbs

Ca Hyphessobrycon Hemmigrammus Cheirodon

Cb Nannostomus Poecilobrycon

Cz fish other than Ca and Cb

Da Pterophyllum

Db Apistogramma Pelmatochromis Nannacara

Dc Cyathochromis Hemitilapia Melanochromis Cynotilapia Julidochromis Petrotilapia Genyochromis Labeotropheus Pseudotropheus Haplochromis Labidochromis Tropheus Hemihaplochromis Lamprologus

Dz Fish other than Da, Db & Dc.

Ea Betta splendens

Eb Colisa Parosphromenus Ctenops Sphaerrichtys Helostoma Trichopis Osphronemus Trichogastea

Ez Fish other than Ea and Eb (includes paradise fish)

Fa Aphanius Chriopeops Jordanella

Fb Aplocheilus Aphyoplatus Pseudopiplatys Epiplatys Micropanchax Dorpanchax Pachypanchax

Fc Aphyosemions Roloffia

Fd Rivulus Fundulus

Fe. Austrofundulus Cynolebias Pterolebias

Ff. Northobranchius Rachovia

Fz Fish other than Fa, Fb, Fc, Fd, Fe & F

G Tropical Catfish

H Corydoras & Brochis

J Rassboras

K Danio & White Cloud Mountain Minnows

M AOS egglayer

L loaches

O Guppy Male

P Guppy Female

Q Xiphophorus helleri

R Platy

S Molly

T A.O.S. Livebearer (includes leopard fish)

Ua Common Goldfish

Uc Shubunkins (short & veiltailed)

Ud Comets (veiltail)

Vb Fantail

Vc Moor

Vf Oranda

Vh Lionhead

Vz Fish other than Va to Vl

W – any other coldwater (NZ Natives)

Z – Plants (Please check the rules for information how different plants are to be entered)

Note:

All fish will be entered into the appropriate class, as specified in the FNZAS National Showfish Sizes & Technical Information 2001 booklet (Q701003A - Technical Information and Fish Show Sizes). Should a fish not be listed, it will be designated a class by the Senior Judge.

Where re-classification of a specie has occurred, they will remain entered as per the class specified in the FNZAS National Showfish Sizes & Technical Information 2001 booklet (Q701003A - Technical Information and Fish Show Sizes).

FNZAS Trophies (annual trophies to be returned to the FNZAS after 12 months)

Best Furnished Aquarium – Aa, Ab, Ad, Ae, Af, & Al

Best Marine Exhibit - Af

Best Barb – B

Best Tetra - C

Best Cichlid – Da, Db, Dc, Dz

Best Dwarf Cichlid – Db (the winner of the best Dwarf cichlid is also eligible for best cichlid trophy)

Best Anabantid – Ea, Eb, Ez

Best Killifish – Fa, Fb, Fc, Fd, Fe, Ff, Fz

Best Catfish – G, H

Minatures only for the following classes J, L, M

NEW Billaney Cup for Best Danio or W.C.M.M. - K

Best Livebearer – O, P, Q, R, S, T

Best NZ Native Fish – W

Best Goldfish – Ua, Uc, Ud, Vb, Vc, Vf, Vh

Best Plant - Z

Best Tropical Best tropical fish in show

Best in Show Best overall fish in show

Best entered times miles - Club based to encourage clubs participation. This is based on number of club entries x kms travelled.

Best Total Points - Individual who accumulates the most total points

Hard Luck - For individual that may have a bit of hard luck (hopefully no one)

Best Junior Entry – juniors are those under 16 years of age at the time of the show

Best Junior Fish – best fish entered by a Junior

Best Photgraphy

Minature Trophies (kept by the winners)

Miniatures will be issued for all FNZAS Trophy winners.

Miniatures will be issued for all First Place winners (where there is more than one entry in the class or class subdivision won).

Certificates

A5 Certificates will be issued to all First (red), Second (blue), & Third (yellow) place winners.

All Trophy winners for best in class or for trophies which do not have a first place certificate will be issued with a Special (White) A5 certificate stating the award won.

Where the full subdivision classification is not suitable for printing on certificates, the Basic Show Class classification will be used along with the Subdivision code e.g. subdivision Ca will be listed as ‘Characins – class Ca’