Everything posted by Floater
-
Parasite life span without host.
I've treated with praziquantel which had absolutely no effect. The only other drug really is metronidazole right? Lowering the water level is a good idea that may work if I can get it low enough.
-
Parasite life span without host.
So I have a 450L tank with not a lot of stock, I'm going to be removing them from this tank in order to treat them for parasites (so it doesn't cost me a million dollars to treat that huge tank). How long should I leave the tank without fish? I'm not 100% sure what parasites I'm dealing with, but if someone could give me a safe estimate I would be very appreciative.
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
Thanks, I guess I'll just crush it up as best I can and hope for the best. God I hope this finally fixes my fish.
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
I think I might just dose with metro by the rate you (Jennifer) suggested earlier. Also this wouldn't require me to catch them (which is a pain in the butt) in order to get a gill/skin/fin sample. Seeings I've done a cycle of praziquantel doses. If I did with metronidazole it would just eliminate another possibility. Any risks with metronidazole?
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
Colourbits, Mysis shrimp, white worms. I guess it could be the food :-? Had this diet for a long time, never seen a white poo before.
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
Just watched my male ram produce a long white poo. First one I've ever seen. Treat with metronidazole?
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
Ok, I'll get those things once I have a chance. This week sometime hopefully. Yeah I'm aware that fiddling with a fish, especially the gill area has its risks. @ P44 Thanks for the info to do with the UV steriliser.
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
-
A word on photoperiod, algae, and taking own advice.
Time to reduce mine from 12hrs to 10hrs I think!
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
What happens with copper?
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
Yes please. Would be very helpful to know what I'm dealing with. Alternatively since I've tried prazi multiple times maybe I should just give metronidazole a shot? Does metro have any harmful side effects on a planted tank, anything to be wary of? Would I need to turn off the UV filter during medication?
- New Fish!
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
Thanks for the advice, I'm willing to try anything at this point.
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
Add all the salt at once or add it slowly over a week?
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
I wish it was only the odd rub . They seem to go into a fit every so often (multiple times while sitting and watching the tank) and just scrape on everything they can for about 10 seconds. Tail fin clamped, pectorial fins clamped. I have a UV sterilizer running 24/7. I haven't tried salt. 450L tank. Can I just dose the whole tank? Or use a bath of some sort? Also have corydoras sterbai, ottos, neons in the tank.
-
Can't get rid of Gill Flukes
My blue rams continue to scrape their gill plates against tank decor. They've been doing this for over 6 months now... I've tried a 10mg/L bath of PP for 30mins. I've tried praziquantel. Is there anything else out there? Formalin? This seriously has to be the most annoying thing I've experienced with fish keeping. Even more so than algae.
-
Heater size and poly thickness
300 watt jager would be the way to go. I use one for my 450L. Works like a charm.
-
Re-dosage time for cyanobacteria?
It hasn't come back since I dosed with Azithromycin. I am also doing far fewer water changes than I used to.
-
Do I need to buy a Master Test Kit?
It's probably worth having one. They last a long time. Redwoods sell them on trademe for $60ish. Their username is redwoodaq. Sorry to hear that you lost some more fish . I'm coming out to my parents tomorrow and I could stop by around 6.30-7 and could test your water with my test kit if you like?
-
Praziquantel side effects.
I'm pretty sure they have gill flukes . Continuously scraping against tank objects around the gill area.
-
Praziquantel side effects.
Thanks for that Jennifer. I have a feeling the first time I dosed my blue rams with praziquantel a few months ago it wasn't actually prazi (bought from pet shop fish keepers "private stash") because I bought some more the other day and it looks completely different. As well as being individually blister packed.
-
Water polishing?
Just the answer I was looking for, thanks.
-
Water polishing?
Is there a brand of this "quick filter attachment" or a specific name?
-
What are these?
I've got those small 3mm white larval looking things in my white worm culture too.
-
Praziquantel side effects.
Are there any side effects to dosing a tank with 2mg/L of praziquantel? I've read that discus keepers regularly deworm their fish. I'm assuming this is what they use? Is there reason to worry about biological filtration after dosing? Anything else worth mentioning?