Glass cutting tips??

Keri Anne

I was just wondering if those of you with experience would be able to put a few tips here for ‘virgin’ glasscutters. I keep seeing threads about fixing and making tanks which are full of useful advice and interesting debates about silicone etc. but nobody ever seems to talk about how to actually cut the glass. As a ‘virgin’ glasscutter I would greatly appreciate it for future reference. :wink:

Cheers,

KA

when you run the cutter over the glass, only do it once and make sure you use a nice firm pressure to make a good scratch on the glass.

make sure its got oil in it(the cutter)

once you have scratched it brake the glass straight away dont leave it then come back later and do it!

once you have used the cutter, tap the underside of the scratch at one of the ends, with the end of the cutter to get the break started. then flex the glass along and you will see it seperating.

if you cutting a long peice then clamping the straight edge to the glass helps too so you dont have to hold the ruler and cut the glass at the same time.

hope this helps. :D

No need to tap the glass as this can cause (to the untrained) to run off.

just scribe

put a wooden pencil in the centre of the scribe. (on the underside of the panel)

then push down with even pressure on both sides untill it breaks.

you could also go down to your local glass shop and ask them to show you.

lots of practise on spare sheets of glass too, before you try for the 'big one'...

ask a glazier for some off cuts to practise on...

Good wheel is also very important, the better the wheel, the easier it is to get a good clean cut. ( IMO )

Okay so what is a good glass cutter and where do you get it from?

The ones at Mitre 10 don't have oil in them. <> Can you just put oil on the glass and what sort of oil are we talking here? Are we talking like the oil that goes in cars or like the oil that you cook with?

What is the best way to clean the glass?

How do you get a nice edge once you've cut it?

See, :roll: I really don't know much on this topic.

keep looking for one that has an oil compartment definately much better and they will last longer. See a glazier or arts n craft suppliers, heck look on trademe there might be something there.

Smooth edge - I have a friend with a glass grinder so I do it there. Again see the local glazier.

:)

I have a cutter with the oil stored in the handle, when pressure is applied the oil flows thru a valve onto the blade.

I use half and half engine oil and kerosene.

The blade is protected when not in use by a small length of garden hose pushed over the cuuter head.

The edges are removed with a whetstone commonly called a spit-stone, a carborundum disc about 75mm across and 15 mm thru.

Water is run on this and the glass as it is rubbed up and down the edge to have the sharp edge removed.To clean the glass, water and an aquarium scrub, followed by a hose down and leave standing up to airdry.

Do not store glass face to face, touching, when wet, in fact, store it with sheets of newspaper between, otherwise you may get what looks like an oil stain as you'd see if you put a drop on the surface of water, this imbeds into the glass and makes it useless foe a viewing pane.

Paint can be removed from the faces with either a razor blade or as I do it, with an off cut of glass.

Remember, the glass don't feel a thing as it slices thru your flesh, so take care and be prepared for the enevitable cuts you'll get; a flannel a bowl of water, cotton wool and some sticky plasters, and a darling wife.(or husband), you may not need the above, but better than trapsing a bleeding appendage thru the house to the med upboard.

As some one has said, practice practice practice.

Good luck, and you'll really get a sense of acheivement when you make your first, own tank. It'll be rough, but with experience you will improve..

You have to start somewhere.

Alan 104

Actually looking at putting dividers in a couple of existing tanks to start with. Got some free slats of glass from the builders doing up the building across from work. It’s something I need to do and also thought it would be a good starting point to learn from. Keep the tips coming ppl - all very helpful.

Thanks,

KA

Cut your dividers very carefully to size.

DO NOT CUT TO FIT

Allow to be able to slide either a split piece of garden hose or airline on the front and the back edges of the divider.

These should be full length if you have fry but shorts otherwise

Also if you have fry, the base should be covered to stop babies moving from one side to another. Or a strip of gravel along the bottom edge of the divider.

If you are keeping killies, allow for their ability to jump and make sure the height is close to the underside of the lid.

This too can have split garden hose on the top edge.

The glass then the plastic edges are put in at an angle then twisted into place.

Hope you can understand what I mean.

I do.

Alan 104

• 1 year later...

Okay so I just started doing some of this, no oil on my cutter either. I'm finding it very difficult to cut long thin bits off a wider piece.

Glass pane:

========= <<--want to cut eg edge off for an egg trap

----------------

I've using two vices to hold the bit I want to be broken away but it isn't working and lots of glass going to waste. I've cut some smaller pieces (9cm x 3cm) no worries but I want 26cm x 3cm and these are the tricky ones. Any advice?

Luke

What thickness of glass are you cutting strips of?

How old is the glass?

What sort of cutter are you using

has the cutter got misses when your using it

Why didnt you ask earlier as we were at Whakatane yesterday and I could have called around and showed you (and dropped of the Micros) on the way back

Oh I didn't realise you'd be willing to swing that far out of your way, thanks anyway.

-Glass is 6mm (I have just found some 3mm which i'm hoping will be easier!)

-Glass I'd estimate is pretty old not sure exactly

-It's quite hard to get an even cut across the whole thing, especially when starting off, i.e can't get right to the edge, but everything I read says only make one cut

30mm to take off older 6mm glass with little experiance is a bit harder

Most people try to over hold the cutter but it should be comfy in your hand and should be held firm enough so as not to let it slip but dont strangle the cutter

I use Inox as the lube and you could do well by swiping oil down where you are planing to cut

If your in Auckland at any stage with a little spare time, give me a call and I will take you to the factory and show you how

Cool do you work at a glass cutting factory?

Oh man I just got to this 3mm glass today.......absolute DREAM. 6mm is way too hard. Well 6mm is okayish for 9cmx3cm oblongs but way too hard for 26cmx3cm. 3mm glass no sweat doing 26cmx3cm. Just broke it off a straight wooden edge. I got pics for the AW article. Also for the last cut, i.e breaking 6cm into 2 3cm strips I used a piece of dowel under it and applied even pressure, no sweat.. all good. Now I just need more 3mm glass! Off to the building recycling place tomorrow :)