Piranha

Jacko

I had a boss whose kids indiscriminately bred mice, the mice were separated after I offered to feed the babies to my fish.

On the note of those fish, typical teenage boy stuff - cant have a pitbull so keep fish so hungry they will tear apart small animals for kicks.

could use them to control the Kois that are about :roll:

and we could throw in low life scum in there too... 2 come to mind... the people who killed that poor teacher and those responsible for the death of the twins :evil:

Unfortunately Wok, you better hope that those Scum Bags can't swim as the piranha will not touch them... :x

Alleged danger to humans

Piranhas generally pose no threat to humans. Natives frequently swim in piranha-infested water without attacks or scratches. However, it is not recommended to swim where piranha live in drought season because of increased aggressiveness caused by food scarcity and increased tendency to form large schools. Piranha fish also have the same sensory system that enables sharks to detect blood in minuscule amounts, so it is believed that swimming with an open cut may enhance the chance of an attack, yet Piranha fish rarely try to eat animals much larger than them.

I don't know Mystic, here is the rest of the text I found on Piranha facts:

Stories about schools of piranhas turning horses or people into skeletons within seconds are the result of numerous re-tellings and exaggerations over the years. While piranha schools can reach over a thousand in count, and bites do happen, there are no documented reports of someone being killed in a piranha attack. There are, however, documented cases of people dying from other causes and then being consumed by piranha (they just happened to be the scavenger that got there first).

I personally wonder how much those doco producers whip up the animals they are filming to make it look more interesting for their viewers. I went suba diving with reef sharks last year, and I can tell you I was a bit apprehensive at first, having seen a few doco's on them. But they turned out to be so docile it was a little let down in the end!

:-?

alot of people breed pinkies (baby mice) to feed to their fish. i dont know why when they could be feeding them nice fillets of fresh fish etc (i think i read mice are high in calcium?). feeding a mouse to a fish is no different than feeding a fish to a fish or a bird to a cat (i know most people dont deliberatly feed their cats birds, its an example). im on the fence with the mouse deal, its gross sure but pirahana do probably get some animal meat other than fish in their diet in the wild once in a while so i dunno. they probably take out birds that sit on the water during drought season etc. im sure www.pirahnafury.com would have something on that or perhaps aquaticpredators.com. when i was reading up on P's there was mention of alot of fresh fish (dead) in their diet, i wouldnt be that keen on feeding fresh fish fillets to my fish :lol:

like jacko said, pirahna aint what theyre made out to be. in tanks the RB's are real skitty guys and arent all that friendly and 'out prowling for fresh meat' like theyre made out to be. then youve got the big solitary black pirahna etc. feeding them isnt all that eventful it seems either unless youve starved them for a long time.

definatly overrated but i love em to bits, i love the RB's shinyness and their cute little mouths *lovey look* docos like to make out how vicious they are but theyre pretty woosy fish unless theyre starving :lol: after all who wants to see shiny fish just swimming around? thats not 'intersting' :roll:

I’m only guessing here but perhaps what some people have found abhorrent in this video is the fact that the mouse is torn apart, rather than being consumed in one go. fishboi is that why you found it sick, or is there another reason?

I personally dont have a problem with the whole feeding of the mouse aspect, its the fact that it was dropped in still alive. In the video you see the poor thing just about walking on water to escape. :cry:

How hungry did those fish have to be to create such a frenzy at the thought of food?

OK farmchick, is the problem that the mouse is a mammal? I’m not an experienced fish keeper, but I believe people feed their fish live bait. I assume that the live bait are invertebrates like Daphnia and Shrimps? Does this make the difference? Do they have to be extremely hungry to react like this or is it conditioning because this is the way they are always fed? I don't know, just asking the question :-?

It's abhorrent because there's no doubt the mouse went through pain getting torn up and eaten alive, to us it would be like getting hacked up with some big machettis. Pain is obviously bad because it leads to death, as in this case, so it is always avoided.

I feed my fish live food like brine shrimp, daphnia, whiteworms, microworms, but these of course don't have the same, if at all? nervous system to a mouse so i would be surprised if they feel any pain at all.

I’m only guessing here but perhaps what some people have found abhorrent in this video is the fact that the mouse is torn apart, rather than being consumed in one go. fishboi is that why you found it sick, or is there another reason?

no i think ur right on the money there. its the combination of it still been alive and getting torn to pieces.

Luke* I think you are probably correct in your assumption that invertebrates (at least the ones we are talking about) don't feel pain. I'm just not sure if this makes feeding live invertebrates to your fish any more ethical than live vertebrates.

"Invertebrates show few, if any, of the behaviours that we would recognize as evidence of emotion6. Many invertebrates are cannibalistic, and many eat their young when given the chance. Most have no social behaviour. Although they can respond vigorously to noxious stimuli, even this response is inconsistent. Insects, for example, will continue with normal activity even after severe injury. An insect walking with a crushed tarsus (lower leg) will continue applying it to the ground with undiminished force. Locusts will writhe when sprayed with DDT. However, they will also continue feeding while being eaten by a praying mantid6."

And...

"Conclusions

Although it is impossible to know the subjective experience of another animal with certainty, the balance of the evidence suggests that most invertebrates do not feel pain. The evidence is most robust for insects, and, for these animals, the consensus is that they do not feel pain6."