poly/stand

mat692

Hi have built some stands to take 3 4 footers side by side (going 4 the 12ft look) the Q I have is would a steel frame with 18mm mdf layed over the top be OK it has one support not quite in the center theyre 300l tanks and the base will be deeper than the tanks, could this cause the tanks to 'bow' and crack.

already cracked one but that was due to a screw holding the mdf up from the stand :evil:

will be gettin some 20ml poly as the 10mm stuff i have is uneven. will it allow for any give the mdf may have?

Wheres the best place to get the poly (ie does anyone know any packhouses that have it lying around)

The polystyrene will not allow for any give the mdf may have. It only helps smooth out minute lumps and bumps.

As for the stand, it would depend on how strong the steel is. If I am reading it right, I think you need a lot more than one centre brace on the stand.

Mdf is that chip stuff isn't it with a smooth top? Be careful of water as it will get under the top layer and the chip bit in the middle will swell.

The polystyrene will not allow for any give the mdf may have. It only helps smooth out minute lumps and bumps.

As for the stand, it would depend on how strong the steel is. If I am reading it right, I think you need a lot more than one centre brace on the stand.

Mdf is that chip stuff isn't it with a smooth top? Be careful of water as it will get under the top layer and the chip bit in the middle will swell.

i think you are thinking of chipboard. :D

the stuff your thinking of carly is called "triboard" ..... mdf swelling all depends on the finish you give it.... if left natural yes it will swell but a good coating of your perffered finish and it can be fine..... ive been using mdf for lots of years and havent had much trouble with it (i use pine for the frame so if mdf does have any probs it wont effect the strength of the stand or project your doing.....

yep thats right rogan,

mdf(medium density fibre board) is made from wood pulp and glue, all compressed and dryed,chip bord is the larger 'chips' of wood glued and compressed together.

but be warned! both will swell and can crack tanks :o ,the poly can only even out so much,all it takes is a smal ship in the vanier and the water will get in.

because of the way its made,when the water soaks in it returns the fibre to how it was before it got compressed.

mat if you think there might be any give in anything,make sure that you add plenty of bracing!!,even go over board if you have any doubts,one center brace to me dosent sound enough for the whole stand.

Tim

Ive got 2 tanks on one stand that has one brace (not in the center but is holding) have set up the 2 tanks with no probs yet the third tank will be on a seperate stand made the same, with a brace in the center. I know for a fact MDF swells but had lots lying around and dont plan on letting it get too wet. will be repairing the broken tank soon and should have the bones for my 12ft look a like. just have to decide what the face/front cover will be