Moisture in the house

JDM

so we all get evaporation, some more than others, i loose around 2 litres a day, i have heard of up to 10 litres a day :o :-?

due to my work my house stays shut up all day and in winter its too cold to open some windows to let out the moisture when i get home, i use a dehumidfyer some of the time, and now it will probably stay on 24/7 during winter. :-?

just wundering what people use to remove the moisture from there homes caused by the evaporation from our reef tanks. anyone got a great method they use that they can recommend for the rest of us?

just thort it might be an interesting topic that i havnt seen on here. :bounce:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like youve been hard at work suphew, got any pics for us, might be able to copy your ideas. :wink:

good plan kp, very clever! :lol: some what unpractical i would imagine but clever non the less. maybe some polished stainless, would help as a refelector as well! :o

my sump is covered and i lose 4.5lts a day from display.

just put a DVS in...blinkin brilliant...solves all condensation and evaporation, unexpected bonus tho, it also managed to quiet a painfull whine i used to get in my left ear every morning in winter :lol:

heat pump with heater for the winter, air con for the summer and a continous dehumidefyer works awsome (and i loose between 6 and 13 liter per day depending on time of year).

DVS works great too, but even with the filter it has still pumps quite a bit of dust from your roof into the house. but very cheap to run.

If you can afford the power bill, evaporation (therefore condensation) is almost non existent if your room temp is within 5deg of water temp. Unfortunately, my numbers havn't come up on lotto yet; so sweaty windows on cold Dunedin mornings is still the status quo. I'll have to check out more about DVS mentioned before. Do they cost much?

HRV, awsome, house is dry as a bone, can even dry washing inside if i have to. Put a dehumidifier on for a few hours and dont get any moisture, sits dormant in the garage now.

Heaps of evaporation though, have to keep the plants watered heaps as well.

I have not had my aquarium running that long maybe six months or so. But have had the glass lids on from day one. Evaporation is very little maybe 5ltrs a week. Not sure what effect the lid has on blocking light but what few corals i have seem to be doing well. Actually the fresh water tank i have never needs topping up only water changes.

Still i get lots of condensation on the windows though especially when running the gas heating.

My flat is so damp I think the equilibrium would actually end up putting water back into the tank when its set up.

Mould growing on clothes and mushrooms spouting out the floor is generally a sign that its a bit too humid. :lol:

Since I'm into fungi its actually pretty interesting!