Warren's Tank Project.

Pegasus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our largest Aquarium is keyhole shaped, between 3000 and 3500ltrs, total length of 3700mm, widest point being 1700mm with a depth of 800mm. It is unsupported (other than silicone). Constructed from 15mm glass. And when built cost about $13,000.

Filtration runs at 9,000ltrs P/hour (0.5Kw), primarily a biological wet/dry filter, just a bit of filter wool (0.5 m2) for water polishing and about 1/4m2 of biological media.

The tank is currently shut down, with inhabitants in a 2000ltr holding tank (using the filter sysyem). We are planning on selling the tank, as we currently have no space.

• 4 weeks later...

Have Finished Cutting all the steel. The frame is now welded about 90%. Next I need to drill the pressure releif holes for when the frame is hot-dip galvanised.

Will post some photo's soon, - will have to pinch the camera from work.

I have decided to make this an article. You will be able to find it in the Article Section on the FNZAS Homepage. Keep eyes open for it. Will add another post to this thread once it is started.

We will have our digital camera with us at conference. I hope to be able to see your tanks sometime over the weekend Warren. We will have to get away fast on Monday morning though as we are heading to Mt Maunganui from Napier. We will be happy to take photos if required.

Though not in New Zealand, a buddy of mine built a 12' X 4' X 3' plywood tank. Thats converts to 3660mm X 1220mm X 915mm. 1077 Gallons or almost 5000 litres. Thats a lot of water.

The sides, bottom, and back are made of 2 thicknesses of 19mm plywood. I believe the front glass is 19mm thick.

Though the pics dont do the tank justice, here is a link to some pics of it. The webpage states that the tank is 12 X 4 X 4, but Im pretty sure it is only 3' tall. I will confirm that this evening.

http://www.nwstar.com/~sas/dana.htm

Cheers,

Virgil

He filters it with a home made wet dry filter.

It is also on an automated daily water change system.

It works well. Any time Ive been over there the water has been amazingly clear for all the large fish he keeps.

I like the Gold Arrowana. It is the king of the tank.

Virg.

Interesting background colour in Dana's tank. I am still trying to decide what colour to paint the inside of mine.

I am thinking black to enhance the contrast to the plants but have heard it can make the fish less happy and colourful.

I don't really like light blue because it seems to dominate the tank so much. With the quantity of plants however it is unlikely you'll see much of the blue.

I am thinking , if the tank is very heavily planted (so you can't see much of the background colour) it may not matter so much if it is black. I want to get it right first time. Stripping down a tank this big to repaint is something I don't want to do.

Comments on the colour I should use please...

Hi Warren,

Don't know how much of an artist you are, or if you have the right paints but why not do a three dimensional background of say a rock outcrop with a darkened cave or something similar, or are you referring to the colour you will mix in your final interior coating?

Seems there are many others with BIG tanks on their minds. Click on this link.

http://www.desertaquaria.com/yabb/cgi-b ... 1014355950

Regards

Pegasus.

• 5 months later...

Well...

Its taken a long time, but the big tank is nearly done. Have just spent most of the weekend fibreglassing it. Later today I can sand the fibreglass ready for the Gelcoat tomorrow. Then a few days to fully cure.

This coming Friday night the front glass sheet will be fitted, which gives the silicone 1 week to fully cure before it is used over Labour Weekend for the fish show (assuming no leaks or glass breakage).

Will take some photos next weekend so everyone can have a sneak-preview of the finished product.