Warren's Tank Project.

Pegasus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Caryl,

Its being moved by a crane. Transported to the school hall on a truck and taken off again with the crane.

If you want to visualise the final setup, go to page 138/139 of Takashi Amano's book 1, Nature Aquarium World. It is a similarly sized tank (height and depth) but mine is just a little longer.

At the show however, it will just be bare (no time to setup) but will have something a little different in it (assuming all goes well with the fill test).

Floor support, - yip, 8 new piles under the house set into a concrete pad. Total weight once setup will be approx 4500kg (lots).

I'm not so worried about the fill-up Bill, its the time to empty it. I only have 1 spare pump at the moment and its 1000L/hour. Its going to take 3 hours just to empty! I'll see if I can borrow a bigger one just for Wednesday night.

Big tank not going to be at the show!!

The supplier of the silicone I used promised it would go off in 24 hours. Well, its been 4 days and its still liquid in the middle. After talking to their technical department in Sydney today (where its made), I've discovered it will take approximately 2 weeks to fully cure. Bummer!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

I'm not happy. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

The only reason I used this silicone was because the supplier promised it would cure fast. Can't trust the Ausi's wot!

Never mind, it will look good sitting outside my lounge empty instead anxiously waiting for the day it will be let inside.

Have arranged some alternative tanks for the show instead.

• 1 month later...

All I can say is "WOW"!!

Congrats on the dedication and hard work! You must be proud!! I am sure it is going to go wonderfully!

After looking at your brand new tank, I told my partner "Can you please learn how to make fish tanks? I want my own custombuilt one like Warren's" :lol:

Its still ok. No leaks or cracks over night.

When I first filled it up, the glass seemed to have a lots of stress in it. When the glass was hit about 1/3 of the way up, it was very hard and made a high pitched knocking noise (as if there was heaps of surface stress). After sitting over night, the noise is now softer, as if the stress has been releaved. Not sure what is going on here, but will talk to the glass company to see if they can shed some light on it.

Will have to wait until next week to talk to the glass company.

Have just measured the deflection in the glass. Its 0.5mm over the 3000mm width. Not bad at all. I'd calculated 1.1mm from the glass thickness calculator so 0.5 is good. It also means I've got glass that is on the upper end of the tensile strength limit rather than the lower. It just means the safety margin is higher. The glass thickness calculator uses the minimum tensile values for all its calculations just in case you get some weak glass.

There is good new and bad news with the big tank.

The good news is it still ok, - no breaks or leaks.

The bad news is that I'm probably not going to keep it. It's just a bit too big. I think I've bitten off just a little bit more tha I can chew. Plus I'll have virtually no lounge left!

There are a whole bunch of reasons for selling it, but the main reason is financial. I've spent $1825.00 to date building it. However, there is approx $900 of lighting, $700 of filtration, $200 for plumbing + lots of dollars to stock it left to go. Well over $2000.00 to get it up and running. It will also cost nearly $150.00 a month to run it (power + food + filter media etc). Sure I could do it but, I'm still renting and need to get into my own place oneday. I'd rather thats sooner than later, so something has to go.

So, anyone want a big tank?

I'll probably scale down my fishroom a bit as well. I live mostly at my partner's place and only spent 1-2 nights a week at my place to do the fish maintenance. Both our places are too small for either of us to move to one. Even though I'm just about never there, I still use $250.00+ of power each month. Cutting back the fishroom to 10-12 tanks should help heaps with the power bill (was $70-80 before the fishroom).

So, sorry to all who were anxiously awaiting the pictures of the new setup, but it rather looks like it won't happen.

There is a large local business who seems to be very interested in buying the tank. It would be a very good new home for it.

Hi Warren,

Really sorry to hear this and can't even begin to imagine the strain you must have gone through to make such a decision after all that work.

Really hope you can find a new owner that will appreciate all your efforts.

Regards,

Bill (Pegasus)

"It's just a bit too big"

Ya think??!! :D

I said you would barely be able to walk through the lounge.

Wanting the tank and being able to have the tank are two totally separate things. I am sure we would all like it but I think most of us are as broke as you Warren. :cry:

So sorry you can't set it up now as I know how long you spent planning and building the thing.