ive go the gow! (importing the Zebra Pleco)

reef_man

I was on the phone to maf today and they said that i can import them, but sadly their are a few condiotions

1) they have to go to a licenced Quariteen Centre...

2) Maf can order destruction of any/all fish at any stage of time, only with a valid reason

3) They have to remain in Quariteen for a min of 3 or 6 weeks.

i am going to find out how to get a licenced Quarteen Centre!

There is no in between time

Freshies are 6 weeks with a Maf inspection on arrival, a Maf inspection half way through, and finally the last inspection to release them.

That's all the inspections if you are lucky.

Guess who pays for those inspections.

You have two things that I can see in your favour, you are close to an International Airport, therefore close to Maf inspectors.

And you have dreams, I really hope you can have enjoyable ones and not nightmares.

Alan 104

i say good on you, but MANY people have tried before and its amounted to nothing, if your a millionaire and dont mind losing all the money you put into it go for it, theyre pricey for a reason, because theyre so hard to get. not being a downer but well, be prepared to lose many nights sleep, maybe ALOT of money and maybe not even find contacts :cry:

this has just been done a couple of months back with a guy bringing in zebra plecs feom aussie he said they cost him half the price of Hollywoods zebras so half of $600 = $300 not bad for a L46.The only down thing is he only brought in 2 as a test shipment i think hes going to bring some more in.

kyle

There are regulations covering the importation of tropical fish. I suggest you ring MaF, find out what they are called and invest a couple of dollars with the Govt printer in getting a copy. Read them well and remember that the words mean what the words say, not what some intelectual giant at MaF thinks they mean. Good luck, you will need to keep your sense of humour. I was at the meeting betweem MaF and the importers when the present regulations were being worked out and they are not too onerous, but they do seem to be interpreted differently in different areas. May the giant plec be with you.

I don't think any of us have a problem with you doing it at all, and bless ya if you do, cuz we need more importers out there... but I think everyone here knows that even to get off your fett with importing you'll need an investment of about $40,000 dollars, which I doubt a student with a part time job has access to unless mom and dad want to put a second mortgage on the house.

Good luck with all your endeavors, but please don't expect the whole community to get behind you and start placing orders. There's people here that have lost thousands of dollars trying to accomplish this exact same feat and 'they' were licensed importers with almost 30 years of experience under 'their' belt so as you can see we all have good reason to have doubts.

reef-man from me to you,

You must be joking

Nobody would even think of handing over the $'s before they were in NZ.

Recently an importer sent away his money, and that was the last he saw of it.

What makes you think with all your inexperience that you'd succeed where he failed and lost.

Sorry.

Alan 104

i woudnt expect the full price, but i would nead a deposit, so nobdy asks for 5 then goes nah dont want them! also i have got my dad to write up a contract and i am going to get insurance so that wont happen, [EDIT] got his money stolen cus from what i know didnt have a back up!

So you have a supplyer???

What worrys me is that if you pre sell 40 plecs, get them sent over, and maf distroys all but 10, who gets the 10?, and who's pocket does it come out of??

I REALLY hope you succeed in your venture to get these wonderful fish, but at the moment it seems like you havent got the finer details correct.

Please, prove us doubters wrong and we will line up with cash in back pocket (once the fish are here....)

10/10 for effort :bounce:

id hate to do this but only get some in for myself breed them and then sell them on :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: id hate to do this, but i sadly dont have $10000+ for just the fish! thats why i needed the deposits so i could ny them all in with them! ist getting doubtful that i can do this now :(:(

if youve got the money to import i say youve got the money to go over there and travel back with them to make sure you are getting actual zebras, its probably a grand max to go to wherever and back but its piece of mind if you do get the finer details worked out. it is ALOT of effort and time, not to mention thousands of dollars and you dont want to have to fork out thousands because fish died, got killed by maf, were the wrong type etc etc. im sure you could get taken to court if someone payed for a zebra and they turned out to be something else, even tho you didnt know :(