Joining two tanks with an emersed pipe for fish transit!

whetu

Ok, here's my weird project...

The Problem

I have 5 clown loaches and some barbs (gold and rosy) in a 3-foot tank. I know this setup is too small for the loaches long term, so I was looking at getting a 6-foot tank. Unfortunately I'm renting and tend to move every couple of years. A 6-foot tank is

a) too heavy/large to move easily, and

b) difficult to house in a tiny flat.

Proposed Solution

I'm going to get a second 3-foot tank and (here's the tricky bit) have a couple of water-filled pipes running from one tank to the other. They will go over the top rim of the tanks, rather than drilling through the glass. The loaches will be able to commute at will between the tanks, effectively giving them a 6-foot tank!

At the moment I have a length of black plastic pipe in the tank (approx 35 mm diameter) and the loaches very happily hang out in there. This is the type of pipe I'm intending to use.

Questions for you to help me with

1) Have you ever heard of this being done successfully?

2) How will I bend the pipe to the shape I need?

3) Any risks/problems you can anticipate?

The worst case scenario is that I end up with two seperate 3-foot tanks, and the loaches continue to be over-crowded.

EDIT: Actually the worst case scenario is that I end up with a fish jammed in the pipe, or syphon all the water out of one of the tanks onto the floor, or some other such catastrophe. Which is why I'm asking you all to get your collective brain-power onto it! :lol:

well the above link is one of the most interesting links ive ever read..... i use to dream of doing that sort of thing when i was younger and now i find out its quite easy to do...... maks alot of sence when its explained like that...... im a bit speechless after that story .... but whetu it answers all your questions.... good luck and some pics of when you have done it would be cool...

wow, its pretty hard out how the water stays in the bottle! how would cleaning go though? youd have to have the pipes going in down to like halfway or something or would it just be easy to get the water back in the tube after?

One thing youd need to watch out for is how far down you make the bottom of the tube - make sure you allow for the water removed in water changes. Also going deeper in the tank say to near the bottom might intice your loaches a little easier?

Yeah, my plan (before I saw the article) was to have the tubing starting right at substrate level and to have it made of black plastic. My loaches love going into dark spaces like that. :) Now that I've seen the one with the clear tubing, of course I want that instead! :roll:

I'm thinking I might compromise - have clear tubing but start with it wrapped in black plastic or something until the loaches get used to commuting through it, then unwrap it (gradually) when they're used to using it.

So... does anyone know where I can get clear plastic piping like that in the article?

I tried lots of plumbing suppliers but none of them could help me. Today someone put me onto Universal Plastics here in Auckland - the salesman was very helpful (he didn't even laugh at me) but the results are not encouraging as far as price!

Here is what I have discovered so far...

* Clear PVC will eventually discolour and become brittle when exposed to light, so he recommended acrylic instead.

* 110mm clear acrylic tubing (the diameter suggested in the article) costs about $150 per metre. :o

* 80mm tubing costs about $90 per metre. (That's an external diameter of 80mm, internal 74mm.)

* They don't have offcuts because they cut it to length off their big roll. (I had thought I might be able to get offcuts cheaper because I don't need a whole metre - no go! :wink:)

* There are no standard elbows or end-caps for this kind of piping so I would need to get PVC plumbing fittings and silicone them on.

So it looks like it might be an expensive project... unless someone has contacts in an industry that may have some cheap off-cuts of clear PVC or acrylic tubing? So, who do you know who works in dairy, brewing, or other industries where they put fluids through clear piping? I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can get me some cheap off-cuts. :D (The longest bit I need is only about 400mm.)

There is another thread about "Water Bridges" somewhere here.. (possibly early this year.. or late last year).. but a few suggestions were made at that time.

Might be an idea to look at an alternative.. like Acrylic flower holders.. or a defuct Lava Lamp.. or perhaps two of the long Pasta holders joined togeter.. or with a bit of skill.. a piece of old flouro tube.. but that would be less diam than the 80mm.. but would certainly work.. and easy to cut to size.

Keep your eyes open in the two dollar shops..

Amazing what they sell that have many other uses :)

Bill.

I think it would look even better if it was all clear, and wider/taller pipe too. I always thought when I was young that a tank with a cylindrical pipe joining the two tanks together would be awesome (just straight across so cut into the glass, not over the top that is).

this sounds like a cool project, just the other day my friend was telling me i should have pipes going all around my room, joining all the tanks :lol: . I thought i'd just mention, in that link that tsarmina posted, it does say that the guy had no luck with loaches going through....hopefully yours feel differently. :D

I think, pricewise, you're better off going with a rectangular tunnel made of flat pieces of acrylic or glass. Going to be MUCH cheaper. Not quite as nice looking but what's nicer looking for the same price? A great looking cylindrical tube or a not so nice looking rectangular tube with $300 taped to it.? :)

Thanks ghostface, I read that thread but I think TM's acrylic tube was probably the same price as what I've been looking at. He got it at Universal Plastics - the same people who gave me my quote.

Ira, I was thinking about flat acrylic or glass made into a tunnel. (I would prefer acrylic because of the weight.) I'll call Lou at Acry-Fab on Monday and see what he reckons about price and practicality. The challenge then would be how to fill it with water. I would need to find a way to plug the ends while I invert them into the tank. Any suggestions?

Bill, thanks for all your suggestions for alternative acrylic tubes! I had never thought of vases etc, and I can't find the earlier thread talking about alternatives. Now I'll be looking at all kinds of vessels and imagining them as water bridges!

... Or maybe I should go back to Plan A and just get a length of black plastic hose...

You don't need a way to plug the ends. All you need is a little tap at the highest point. You put the tubes in the tank, put a hose on the tap and suck all the air out.

That's going to need some serious suction - we're talking about lifting a fair weight of water here :)

Total weight of the water is irrelevant. All that matters is the pressure. Which would be something like...Ummm...1 PSI=2 feet, so less than half a PSI at most I'd say. I think most people can suck that hard easily.:)