Flow rates

handy-andy

Checking out Jebo cannister filters to replace my worn out Fluval 203 (getting tired of using "percussive maintenance" to restart it). My tank is 3 feet by 1½ feet by 1½ feet. I guess that makes it about 150 litres, allowing for rocks, gravel, plants etc.

I feed every other day, weekly 25% water changes, rinse filter media monthly. What size cannister filter should I get?

Jebo 810 900 litres per hour

Jebo 815 1000 litres per hour

Jebo 819 1200 litres per hour

Am I mistaken or will a 900 litre per hour flow rate cycle the water in my tank 6 times per hour? The 1200 will cycle it 8 times?

I know the old rule of thumb is to buy the biggest filter, safe in the knowledge you can always slow the flow rate down by partially closing the valve on the intake tube. I also read that a 1000 LPH filter is suitable for a tank up to 300 litres, so is anything bigger than the Jebo 810 overkill for my tank? I'd rather buy the appropriate sized filter and not have to fiddle around partially closing valves.

Also, anyone know who stocks Jebo filters in Christchurch?

Thanks!

In regards to who may stock them, check out trademe.

Have seen several waterfal style filters suitable for your tank, and I'm almost certain they were Jebo ones.

We just purchased to aqua ones for our 450L tank. mucho grunto.

http://www.deepblueaquarium.co.nz/filter.htm The top one is pretty much what I have. It has a pump button on the top to get the syphon started really easily and with no hassle.

I'm pretty stoked with mine, for $140(+ $25 for postage) its pretty sweet,- quiet and built to a reasonable standard. Its blatently a eheim knockoff, but who cares - I dont understand why more people arent moving over to copycats. Longevity is one stated reason, but I havent heard of people who werent happy, I've only heard good things.

You wont have too fiddle much with the valves - its easy, and it probably isnt required - if you have a spray bay the water flow will be fine - if there is too much flow you can easily see how much to close the valve.

After seeing how good my el cheapo knock off is I'll never buy an eheim. :D

(Oh yeah just thought I'd point out these are jebao not jebo, ridiculously similar names but different companies.)

I am running 2 Jebo 819s, a Fluval 404 (was 2 of them but one has bit the dust) and an Eheim wet/dry. Of the lot, I love the Jebo best. Runs well and silently. I have to put my hand on it to feel the vibrations to check it is actually running. The Fluvals are forever blocking and water flow reduces dramatically after 2 days running. They are also difficult to get apart, then restart. The Eheim I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft barge pole.

My 819's run on 4ft tanks and I have just bought a 3rd one for my son's tank which is a smaller 92cm x 41 x 46.5. You will have no trouble finding them in ChCh I am sure.

I bought mine from Deco City Pets in Napier as they had them on special and freighted it down to me.

I have a 2028 pro 2 ehim suppose to be the best, its two years old and on its second head, the flow rate was very slow, i have one jebo and brought another on the weekend, very good value for the cost and very quiet to run, $ 750 for the pro 2 buys a lot of jebos.

Checking out Jebo cannister filters to replace my worn out Fluval 203 (getting tired of using "percussive maintenance" to restart it). My tank is 3 feet by 1½ feet by 1½ feet. I guess that makes it about 150 litres, allowing for rocks, gravel, plants etc.

I make that about 6.75 cubic feet or 50.5 US Gallons or 201.97 quarts or 0.25 cubic yards or 403.95 pints or 11664 cubic inches... (which in metric happens to be around 190 Litres so probably about 150L less gravel etc.)

now that flow rate that are stated on the filters are they:

flow rates without media in them?

Flow rates with new media in them?

Flow rates with media and bacteria and scum in it?

If it was the first then I would go with a higher flow rate and then expect it to slow down when the media is full of beneficial gunk :)

Flow rating's are with no media and more importantly zero head on the pump, so you will never get the stated flow rates.

As to the size, either get the biggest you afford or will fit behind your tank, or do what I do and work out the best priced smaller filter and put two of them in. It isn't possible to over filter a tank the only risk you take is creating too much current and this can normally be corrected by directing the filter out puts at the glass or by using spray bars.

OK, thanks for all your comments. Have decided to choose based on maximum flow rate. Having some difficulty tracking down Jebo filters in Chch though. Currently deciding between the Jebao 304 for $134 + $25 p&p from DeepBlue, or the Aqua One CF1200 for $150 + $10 p&p (from Trade Me).

Same price all up - any comments on Aqua One reliability and ease of maintenance? The Jebao seems to be largely untested.

What's best practice for swapping over filters? I am assuming I should use as much of my existing media as possible in the new filter. Should I minimise feeding for a few weeks or stick to my regular routine? Should I put the new filter sponges in the tank for a week before doing the swap (can't swap existing sponges as they are round, and new filter is square)?

Or should I run both filters simultaneously (if I can fit them all in), and for how long?

Mooloo - I'd recommend the new Fluval FX5 for your 1000L tank. I'm getting one for my 460L discus tank and can't imagine forking out the $$ for anything else. I just spent $380 on a 2028 (on sale at Animates) and quickly decided that I'd made the wrong choice when I started looking into the FX5s.

Animates orders the FX5s in for $600, or you can order/pick them up from PetPlanet for $570 plus $5 shipping if you need it shipped.... (it's on TradeMe if you haven't seen it yet). I'm thinking about doing the Animates thing just for simplicity in case warranty service is needed...

Same price all up - any comments on Aqua One reliability and ease of maintenance? The Jebao seems to be largely untested.

What's best practice for swapping over filters? I am assuming I should use as much of my existing media as possible in the new filter. Should I put the new filter sponges in the tank for a week before doing the swap?

Or should I run both filters simultaneously (if I can fit them all in), and for how long?

IMHO you should go for the cf700 which will turn 150 litres over around 3 times an hour taking media flow loss into consideration. This would be ample filtration. If you are planning a bigger tank later go for the cf1200. These filters are excellent and quiet.

Regarding how to swap the new filter in get a little bit of media from your existing filter and pop it in one of the baskets of the new filter. Then fire them both up in the same tank and within a week you will have 2 cultured filters. You should be able to feed your fish normally and you should do that so as to keep the bioload up on the filters.

Congrats. If I were in Aucks I woulde have bought a 8ft tank and stand that a FNZAS member was selling up there. Sadly enough if I had a tank that size it'd have to go in the garage and I just can't bear to do that quite yet ;)

My FX5 will be here in a few days. Will let you know how it runs!

Hi

To power filters..I run 124 tanks ..All under gravel ..Average 250 liters.

Just try and use power filters.. Even 30 watts per tank is telling me you need a power station to plug into free..

A 100 watt heat is saying 3 power stations..

Why not just get back to basic's before marketing came along..A good air supply can do just as well..The only pump i use are two minor power heads to give current to some Amazon Cats i want to breed..

In the past all even external wet / dry filters were air powered..This is not to start up arguments but to start up thinking..cheers Phill Collis :P