Landscapers start on my new pond tomorrow!

Caryl

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pictures are worth a 1000 words.. have a look in the galleries and let your mind go wild :wink:

I thought the rubberband fight on Saturday night was really funny.... All acting their shoe size :lol:

Hi there, My Husband and I have been admiring your pond and we are considering making something similar for ourselves, you don't have to answer this question but for the pond itself what sort of money would we be looking at.

Another idea we have for your pond and is something we will do with ours is to build a brick chiminea/ brazier would give it a lovely warm atmosphere at night sitting out there toasting marshmellows.

Thanks Richelle

We have been away so much we keep missing the landscapers. Currently, we have suggested they try Grant's ballcock idea. They thought this was a good plan but if we were not satisfied with the results, they would go back to their suggestion of lining it. This would be a major job though so we are trying to avoid it.

• 1 month later...

OK. Latest update - sometime this week the landscapers installed the ballcock. Well, I assume they did as the pond level is now up where it should be and I hear the occasional "thunk" of an airlock in the pipes.

• 1 month later...

The ballcock is working well and water holding. Waterfall not turned on yet as pump is so powerful it forces the water through the filter media, which bunches up at one end, and blasts the opposite end of the plastic container to make a very loud drumming noise. We need to add a pipe with holes in it to dissipate the water force.

Emptied out the small pond (which had 50 small goldfish fry in it) and added these fish to the big pond. They promptly disappeared in the vastness (they are only 2 or 3cm long). If I poke at the plants I can see them moving in there.

Added several more clumps of oxygen weed today. I have had it growing in tubs in the temporary pond.

Added several containers of lilies but of course at this time of year they are dead looking lumps :roll: .

Once the shops start getting in pond plants (a bit early yet) I will have to make a trip to ChCh to select some variety.

Pics will be added once the plants look like they are actually doing something. 8)

• 4 weeks later...

OK. Here it is September. Still bare until the plants grow but it is getting there.

pondSeptember06.jpg

We don't see the fry we added a couple of weeks ago unless we poke about through the oxygen weed as they hide all the time.

Added 3 large (about 10cm each not inc tail) fish today. They have been living in a paddling pool out the back up until now...

fish3Sept06.jpg

Fish2Sept06.jpg

Look at all the pollen stuck to the exposed leaves!

FishredwhiteSept06.jpg

No swimming yet - too cold!

Jude, the fish is at the other end as I worry it will wear down too fast if it is exposed to the elements since it is fairly soft limestone. I figured it was safer under the verandah. I am wondering about sealing it but worry it might spoil its looks.

limestonefish.jpg

I never thought of that - you could end up with a little pile of white sand instead of a fish :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could seal it with bright yellow paint so it matches the duck of course

Cheers

Jude (who is now on the look out for a bad taste plastic fish)

Fish numbers increased to 9 today when a neighbour said I could catch 6 fish out of her pond. The 6 new ones are 5 - 8cm so a good size. Two of them are females full of eggs so my pond should have plenty of fish in it by new year.

Jude I am sorry but I think your fish has died. When we went out it was lying on its side :cry:

It was very windy here today :roll:

Then to protect it from bleaching and decaying or eroding.

Get some isinglas (spp) It use to be used for preserving eggs.

We used it when building cowsheds and put it in the milk spill area on the floor.

Milk eats concrete really easily and it protected it from that etching, so it should protect your fish.

Use to get it from the hardware store.

Alan 104