February 20, 200620 yr comment_89548 1450 L x 750 W x 700 H hopfully my two 150 w metal H lights will cope but I do have spare 250 w . Thanks to Aaron for stand (Duke) this has been in my garage for a few months now and finaly a couple of weeks ago I move the existing 4 ft tank into garage and started getting things sorted . Need to drill holes in floor for sump in garage . If you can see were I've removed sand on second picture thats were the reefs will be built. Report
February 20, 200620 yr comment_89549 at 5ft, go 3 x halides with the 250 in the middle or at least supplement it with some T5's. two halides wont quite be enough (depending on what you're keeping of course) i have 3 x 150W'ers over my 5 footer and wish i'd gone with 4. keep us all up-to-date with pic's, always good to see progress on a new project. Report
February 20, 200620 yr Author comment_89563 25 mm stainless I think (1 inch) round for uprights and square for base Report
February 20, 200620 yr Author comment_89565 Having trouble with tank in garage coral battles going on and Galaxia is winning . Report
February 20, 200620 yr comment_89603 That stand doesn't look strong enough. It needs bracing to stop sideways movement along the length of the tank or it will end up broken at floor level. Report
February 20, 200620 yr comment_89610 That stand doesn't look strong enough. It needs bracing to stop sideways movement along the length of the tank or it will end up broken at floor level. I was thinking the same thing. Add some diagonal pieces. Report
February 21, 200620 yr comment_89651 Stainless steal tube is very strong as long at the welds are good it will be fine. I have a friend that works in a stainless steal mill and he makes up a lot of stands and things for me. If you don't believe me put a 1 inch dia piece of tube into a vice and try and bend it! But what I would do however is bolt or screw the stand to the floor and also make sure that the skirt round the tank is connected to the stand so the tank can't move. Report
February 21, 200620 yr comment_89716 If you don't believe me put a 1 inch dia piece of tube into a vice and try and bend it it's not the tube that is a concern, its the welds still, looking at the design and the fact there are 3 legs across i think it would be strong enough. if only 2 it would definately be a problem! Report
February 21, 200620 yr comment_89725 That stand doesn't look strong enough I think he is going to inclose the stand with timber, so if that is the case it will be perfect. Report
February 21, 200620 yr comment_89729 That will look good and provide more bracing. Its a good sized tank. Report
February 21, 200620 yr Author comment_89769 The base is going to be open and all equipment will be in the garage 10 m away for now I'm going to use existing 1262 eheim pump and gravity feed return water to pump which will be located under floor beneath tank so pump only has to pump 1.75 m head and will have two 90 degree bends . Correction to size 1400 x 750 x 700 sould hold 700 liters Report
February 21, 200620 yr comment_89785 Will the 1262 pump water 10M? pump 1.75 m head horizontally 10metres there is no (or little) friction. only head would be an issue here Report
February 21, 200620 yr comment_89789 I am sure than 10m on the horizontal will cause the pump issues. There is more than just friction to consider, there is the weight of the water it has to push. 10m seems a long way to pump for a small hobby pump, i'd be testing it before I plumbed it all together. Pie Report
February 21, 200620 yr Author comment_89795 water will be gravity fed to pump so piping to tank from pump will be about 2 meters at 1.75 head with two 90 degree bends . Report
February 22, 200620 yr comment_89949 I hope the stand holds up..... At the mo it does look a lil scary (to my untrained eye). I would make 300% sure, I cant imagine anything worse than the whole thing tipping over. Well I can, but it still wouldnt be good. Looks good anyways, and as people say the bracing will add more support. Report
February 23, 200620 yr comment_90103 Feelers I agree... after all I made the stand and feel a little responible. Report
February 23, 200620 yr comment_90198 I think your return pump setup is very smart. Head for the pump is water level in the tank minus water level in the sump. So, having the return pump lower then the sump makes no difference. I would ensure that the diameter of the line feeding the pump is big enough to ensure it can feed all the water the pump wants. Cheers, Jeroen Report
February 24, 200620 yr Author comment_90250 the pipe to pump is 32 mm drain and from pump to tank is 28 mm presure pipe.Sump will be 600 to 700 mm above pump .Head is 1500mm and pesure pipe is 2100 mm in lenth with two 90 degree bends. juse been drilling holes and checking out location of pump. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.