sunsun tanks

beachy

We got in contact with him, as we thought they looked good too, but he wanted a $150 for him to bring to Wellington in his own van. We had several email and phone conversations with him and had a different answer everytime. (in relation to transport cost and mupilte tank discount).

so in answer to your question I don't know about the quality of the tank,

but I say buyer beware of the person selling.

• 2 weeks later...

Beachy. Hi there i am new to this forum, just flipping thru the posts and saw yours. I have a 1200mm Sunsun tank and have not had any major probs. Been running well for approx six months with tropical set up. The guy on trademe seems a wee bit dodgey but the product seems to be fine! I'm happy as with mine! Especially for the price I paid!! Hope this helps! Cheers.

hi beachy......... i have bought a 1200mm sun sun tank from that guy..... found he ok to deal with he was helpful enough and as for thr tank i think its dam good value for money... at $500 for a tank ith the stand and lights and filter thats a good buy........mine is up and running only thing im finding is temp is sitting around 30 and im testing if its a faulty heater or if theres not enough vents in the hood and the lights may be keeping the tank that hot..... but once i sort out this prob i think it will be a good setup..... pleant of filtration as it has a big filter area on top in the hood....plenty of room for bio noodles and carbon e.t.c...... let me no if you want to no anything else about them..... :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys unless the Tanks have a sealed unit for the lights not just bare fluros get lids cut to go between the tank and lights

The major problem wuth sunsun is moisture in the lights which causes them to short out

This is from personal experience

Also the filter isnt enough IMO for these tanks

easiest way is to run a canister instead of the top filter Less hassles

hi .... sorry Freakyfish but i have to disagree ..... my tank has be up and running for 3 weeks and filter is doing a great job....... well stocked with fish and been testing every couple of days and every thing is perfect so the filter is workin fine..... but thats just my tank and its way big enough filter IMO...... anyone else running these sun sun tanks..... and can give feed back on them.....

As anyone that has had a hood filter for longer than 3 weeks knows, they are a pain. A close equivalent of a HOB filter, IMHO. They require constant maintenance and changing of media to keep the water going at an acceptable rate. If it was a canister filter I would have returned mine LONG ago.

As anyone that has had a hood filter for longer than 3 weeks knows, they are a pain. A close equivalent of a HOB filter, IMHO. They require constant maintenance and changing of media to keep the water going at an acceptable rate. If it was a canister filter I would have returned mine LONG ago.

I actually found the hood filter on my Aqua One R2-150 tank to be just fine, was a truckload easier to maintain than a cannister filter, given you didn't have to turn it off/disconnect/etc/etc/etc to clean/maintain it.

Then again, I am very tall ;)

Hmm.... AR380/980 over here and you DO have to turn them off, remove the spray bar and then play with a lot of muck to get it cleaned up. I quickly resorted to using a canister filter "backup" when I had discus in there and now use that tank for raising fry with a very clogged up filter and sponge filters running alongside the hood filter.It does the trick and with the lack of surface agitation the Riccia loves it!

in regards to your statment " As anyone that has had a hood filter for longer than 3 weeks knows, they are a pain "..... when i was doing fish 3 yrs ago the hood filters was the main type of filtration that i use in the tanks..... so ive not been using a hood filter fo 3 weeks ive had a lot of yrs using hood filters and ive found them fine..... also having a disability they are much much better as not being able to get under tank stand etc to get canister filters out e.t.c..... so IMO they are fine..... having to change the glasswool more often is all in the fun and enjoyment of owning fish ( thats IMO)....

• 3 months later...

I have recently purchased the new model of Sunsun 1000mm tank, this is first time the walnut colour available. In reply to comments made about sunsun the lights have a removable plastic cover to stop moisture, the filter has large containers for bio rings & carbon & the filter flow is rated at 900 litres per hour. I have used two 150 watt heaters, one in each end & that holds a steady temp whether the lights are on or not. The trademe guy "joshua2003", I found very good to deal with and he also checked all parts were accounted for and functioned properly when collecting the unit. He does not speak very good english but this isn't too much bother in person. Also I do not find it much bother to clean the filter etc. Like any new product, the early models often need improving, I think the model I have sounds like a vast improvement on the original models people are talking about, I'm using my tank for fresh water tropical & its filter works very well. I can only post positive comments as I have only had good experiences with Sunsun.

I know in Australia that i wouldnt touch them

I have had 2 and only had problems with them both

Dodgy lights in them are prone to water and to short out

The is a massive difference in the AquaOne and the AquaPro or SunSun

with the later being a cheap knockoff

The filters IMO arent adequate for the size tank and the powerheads dont last long

I wouldnt touch them as i dont see them worth anything

Brad

I know in Australia that i wouldnt touch them

I have had 2 and only had problems with them both

Dodgy lights in them are prone to water and to short out

The is a massive difference in the AquaOne and the AquaPro or SunSun

with the later being a cheap knockoff

The filters IMO arent adequate for the size tank and the powerheads dont last long

I wouldnt touch them as i dont see them worth anything

Brad

It sounds like the quality of the tanks depend on when they are imported, who is importing them & which model you purchase. Note all these negative & postive comments & check the tank before purchasing for the hardware or fittings it has. My complete Sunsun 200L freshwater tropical setup cost around $700 including everything, tank, cabinet, heaters, substrate, plants & fish. The equivilant in any other brand would have been at least $1600. I think this is a very cost effective way to do a good sized setup.

• 1 year later...
Smidey - do you still like your tank?

Just wondering am thinking of getting one :)

i like it more the longer i have it, a friends aqua one is starting to show the down sides of the plastic hood & mine is as good as it was when i got it over 2 years ago :D

Cool :) good to hear it - and you dont find any problems with the filtering? or with the lighting?

filter has not faulted at all, i do run a canister as well in my tank. I did have one of the lighting tubes flickering recently but my sparkie mate sorted that & said that it was a common fault with fluros. I haven't had a tube fail yet either. The hood, being aluminium is my cats new sleeping place now that the weather is getting cooler & there is no way it would ever sag or anything like that.

& if your guna get one off joshua on trademe get the stand as well. they are really good for the $ you pay & make it a complete unit. the stands have holes for canister piping when you get them & the hood has rebates at either end for piping etc to.

I have 12 tanks with top filters as well as 10 with hang-on filters & 3 large can filters...they all take a small amount of time to clean but the trick I use is I bought a meter by 2m wide thick 'dacron' for $9 and cut up small sections that fit in the filters ..then every 2 - 3 weeks just throw away the clogged material & replace with new price..easy as..keep smiling clean filter = happy fish.

I have 12 tanks with top filters as well as 10 with hang-on filters & 3 large can filters...they all take a small amount of time to clean but the trick I use is I bought a meter by 2m wide thick 'dacron' for $9 and cut up small sections that fit in the filters ..then every 2 - 3 weeks just throw away the clogged material & replace with new price..easy as..keep smiling clean filter = happy fish.

i do te same but only change filter wool every 4 weeks or so. I do ahve a canister filter on my tank as well though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...