January 18, 200620 yr comment_84509 Well, as some of you already know, I have been able to get my hands on 8 female Albino guppies. (I have however been unsuccessful at getting any males) These are the best photos that I can get from a downward angle into breeding nets (their temporary homes while I sort out my breeding corner) with a pxt cell phone. This is 7 of my 8 girls. And another pic of them in case that one didn't work. This is my largest female and the male I'm trying to outcross with. And another pic of the same to give you a better look at the male. And this is my nearly set up breeding corner. (Platty breeding tank at the back with light on.) Will update here as to how I go. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Report
January 18, 200620 yr comment_84515 from what i can see in the picture you have got yourself a normal male guppy. in short, he has black pigments cells which contain melanin. Melanin is a black substance that can concentrate itself in the cell or disperse throughout. albino has no melanin pigment at all, therefore if you cross them, chances are there are no albino at all and expect grey offspring. but the babies will be albino carriers, if you cross the albino females with the babies, chances are you will get - 50% albinos. Cross babies with babies - 25% albinos. but since they are imported albino females. chances are they are not virgin, so they might have been cross with an albino males. so the babies come out now could be albinos!!!!! :lol: Report
January 19, 200620 yr Author comment_84621 Yes, the male is normal, plan to cross the sons back to the mother. Report
January 19, 200620 yr comment_84669 Are none of the females gravid? Chances are the have been fertilized by males from the same batch. It would be easy to pick albino offspring early on with the pink eye. Even if they have been with a normal male they could still throw albino (if they do you should seperate them soon as) Report
January 19, 200620 yr comment_84683 i would say chances are they are all already been fertilised by albinos males as they are all raised in same batch in a commercial breeding line? Report
January 20, 200620 yr Author comment_84818 That was what we were hopeing for but sadly not the case. I am very glad I got more than a couple though (had to get 8 or it was a no-go) I expected to lose a few along the way, unfortunatly 1 died today. So current count is 7 female albinos, no males - fingers crossed. Report
January 20, 200620 yr comment_84852 good luck. breeding albinos aint easy. suffering from weak genes, pre mature babies, deformities etc. Report
January 21, 200620 yr comment_84899 ive had an albino female for a few months now, im begining to think shes intertile or just deosnt like boys :-? she hasnt had any young, nor is she getting fatter. Report
January 21, 200620 yr Author comment_84905 That's sad, have you tried putting her in a breeding net with one nice healthy male? Males do have short attention spans (Guppies) :lol: Report
January 21, 200620 yr comment_84930 thats the same with my albino male guppy. He just doesn't seem interested at all which is a total bummer for me as I have him with my best golden/blonde females and so far nothing The females are not getting any fatter either so I have added my metallic green snakeskin guppy to have a go at them. If I come across any albino then its a bonus but I have given up on him for now. :bounce: Report
January 21, 200620 yr comment_84968 Hey they aren't my cup of tea but if people are looking for some of them I saw 3 albino females are hollywood in Albany yesterday and they appeared healthy etc... Report
January 22, 200620 yr comment_85002 Who said albinoes weren't nice. Who said they cost heaps. Check this out then. http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/ ... 1137201090 Now to import some and get some money back on my hobby. Alan 104 Report
January 22, 200620 yr comment_85020 wow...those are really top of line pure red albino strains. its a pity we dont have much variety here in New Zealand. Report
January 22, 200620 yr comment_85030 Awesome looking guppy, good money to at $50US per fish with shipping on top They would sell like hotcakes in NZ Report
January 28, 200620 yr Author comment_86054 thats the same with my albino male guppy. He just doesn't seem interested at all which is a total bummer for me as I have him with my best golden/blonde females and so far nothing The females are not getting any fatter either so I have added my metallic green snakeskin guppy to have a go at them. If I come across any albino then its a bonus but I have given up on him for now. :bounce: What are the chances of me buying him off you? Would you send to Napier?? Report
January 28, 200620 yr comment_86075 unfortunatly I still have a small chance of hope that I may be able to get an albino female or two at some stage. I love the colour of him when the lights are out. Its like he glows. If I was to change my mind Keri I shall let you know Cheers Report
January 29, 200620 yr comment_86143 Lol.....Keri Anne...looks like your mad about albino guppies. Report
January 29, 200620 yr Author comment_86170 Lol.....Keri Anne...looks like your mad about albino guppies. We're all mad in this hobby, right? Some about Discus, some about puffers, some about Killies but every one of us has something. 0:) Report
February 15, 200620 yr Author comment_88981 And then there were 5.... Just lost another albino - all water conditions normal - can only hope it's nature taking the weakest DNA away from me. Report
February 16, 200620 yr Author comment_89132 Will do, it only makes me more determined. (I'm not going to be beaten by a fish) :-? Report
March 11, 200620 yr comment_92316 Hi Keri Anne There is some cool info in the following site about albino's http://www.world-guppy.de/english/artic ... swords.htm I don't understand it all but learned some stuff. Anyway good luck with your breeding programme. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.