BRISTLE NOSE CATFISH BREEDING

SHARK

HELLO THERE.

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAD SOME ADVISE ON BREEDING THESE FISH.

HAVE A PAIR, MALE, FEMALE.

THEY ARE ABOUT 2 YEARS OLD.

FEMALE IS TWICE THE SIZE OF THE MALE.

SHE SEEMS TO MOVE HIM ALONG ALL THE TIME.

NOT VERY TOLERANT OF HIM.

CHEERS THE SHARK

Thanks for that, sounds very easy, but no it wont be, i have a very busy tank.

Will just see how things go, they have a cave to go in but my Black Ghost fish likes to hang out in there, should be interesting.

Thanks again.

THE SHARK.

Hi Shark and welcome

To give you an idea whats Mystic means , i set up a Bristlenose breeding tank today ( Always need more clean up crews ) set up with pots on a sandy base, i've not put any wood in yet but as Mystic says it is a good idea.

BNTank.jpg

i've put 4 pairs of adult bristlenose in there with lots of places to choose from, fingers crossed and waiting now :) Lots of good food, pleco chips and zuccini and all should be good. :P

Good luck

Paul, when I saw a GBA breeders setup in Auck last year, I noticed that she had her pots sloping,

but not like you!!

She had them sloping BACKWARDS!!

Made sense to, It was rather obvious when I thought about it.

When/if the male gets frisky, the eggs don't roll out to the danger area where they could get eaten,

or the fry in the wriggler stage.

The male will keep the gravel or sand out.

This idea will work for other species as well.

In fact, today, I'm going to change the pot I have in my kribensis tank.

Makes sense huh??

Alan 104

Paul, when I saw a GBA breeders setup in Auck last year, I noticed that she had her pots sloping,

but not like you!!

She had them sloping BACKWARDS!!

Made sense to, It was rather obvious when I thought about it.

When/if the male gets frisky, the eggs don't roll out to the danger area where they could get eaten,

or the fry in the wriggler stage.

The male will keep the gravel or sand out.

This idea will work for other species as well.

In fact, today, I'm going to change the pot I have in my kribensis tank.

Makes sense huh??

Alan 104

Makes sence Alan if they were other fish in that tank to eat the eggs but thats purly bristlenose and like Mystic says they like to beout the light.

Also tipped up backwards would be like handing the eggs to other fish on a plate I'd have thought ? I'm guessing the breeder was Kim and she sure knows what she's doing so will think about maybe changing a couple of the pots and see which the BN choose to use , nothing to lose , Thanks for the idea :)

I've tried pots and chiclid cone's with my normal's and GBA's and they won't lay in them, seem to prefer being well hidden and away from light sources in their ornaments, i have wondered with there being a lot less room than the pots if the males fanning creates more of a current over the eggs...(keeps wondering LOL)

Hey Paul,

Will they be ok being all adults and pairs?

I have experienced Adult Males & Females 'beating' on eachother! (Same sex I mean)

Also seen other Adults taking over pots of Bubbas and I would be worried that I would loose Bubbas as well as Adults! :cry:

been keeping an eye on them Jody and there is enough pots to go around with a spare so no agro yet, seems ok but time will tell. :)

I've tried pots and chiclid cone's with my normal's and GBA's and they won't lay in them, seem to prefer being well hidden and away from light sources in their ornaments, i have wondered with there being a lot less room than the pots if the males fanning creates more of a current over the eggs...(keeps wondering LOL)

My GBA's also seem to prefer an orniment to a pot so you may have something there , we really need a Dr Dolittle :)

I breed my common B/N in an upside down 150mm teracota pot no gravel at all.

the male sits half in head first, I know when he has eggs there as you can see his fins fanning them.

the female just lays the eggs on the base glass.

no mess no hasel.

p.s Kylefish2 pulled an artical up that stated a guy in Auz breeds 1 male to 7 or more females the pot gets so full of eggs the male can't keep them all in :lol:,

i've had 2 female and 1 male snow flake b/n breed like this, it's just a matter of getting the females ripe at the same time.

I've just bought some BN today, 1 Male and 1 Female, for this very reason, thought I might have ago at breeding them, and with all the great ideas on here doesn't seem like it will be to hard to do, I to am concerned that the eggs will be in a community tank and that the other fishies will eat them, might have to think about moving them, should I move them at the egg stage or the fry stage? :-? :-?

Good Luck with yours Shark :bounce: :bounce:

Lynda

Are you sure you have a pair, it's not the size that shows the sex (as in a lot of fish) but lack of bristles on the female. They wont start breading till they are both about 1.5 inches long.

Also you MUST have a piece of wood in the tank, the BN scrape the surface and there is something in it they need (but can't remember what it is). Having said that I saw a pair breeding in Animates in CHC in a completely bare tank with just a rock in the middle for the eggs, but I did wonder if the rock and BN had been moved into the tank just as they breed so they could display them.