December 2, 200520 yr comment_77590 hey guys, I've found a really cool site about microworms and stuff. Our guppies love microworms so much and I thought I should share this with people who's thinking of buying microworms.. check this out. http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/i ... Microworms Report
December 2, 200520 yr comment_77645 That sounds interesting. Have you tried the potato trick yourself? Report
December 2, 200520 yr comment_77646 Niiiice site. Thanks for that post, I'm sure a few people will give that potato trick a shot. I'm just learning how to culture en masse and hope to be able to compete with MRSkz (the lady selling the microworm culture you mentioned on TradeMe) some day. Nah, that's her baby these days. I'm just playin Report
December 2, 200520 yr comment_77653 @ BlueandKim. hey I'm not like some people that think just because someone else has the same idea as I did that they have stolen something from me. I think there's plenty of room in the "market" for all who want to try there hand at anything. besides I ship free of cource I am getting rid of alot of other things not just fishy stuff. Hubby's convinced I'll be selling off the house next Happy holidays Report
December 2, 200520 yr comment_77657 Cultures @ $5 with free shipping that I can only assume costs $3.50 with standard post.... minus the 50c success fees... that leaves a margin of $1. Assuming you're using free containers and ingredients, that is. I pay for oatmeal and yeast and the other stuff myself so I'd actually be paying people to buy them off me at that price. Yeah, I won't be competing with you anytime soon and have to :-? at anyone complaining about your prices for a culture on TM. Personally, I paid $15 for my starter culture at one point. Report
December 2, 200520 yr comment_77660 A few months ago I chased around for weeks trying to get a microworm culture so it is good to see them available. None of the pet shops in Christchurch had them and I finally got one from the wrong side of the Bombay Hills. Report
December 2, 200520 yr comment_77665 If you look here... http://www.ak.planet.gen.nz/~bio/ .. you will find that MW cultures are $20:40... PLUS freight.. Report
December 2, 200520 yr Author comment_77666 $5 is pretty cheap I agree. Maybe I should edit the topic eh that came out wrong I'm sorry. What I'm saying is you can get a good size bag of oatmeal and dry yeast for around the same price so why pay $5 for only one culture right? :bounce: Report
December 3, 200520 yr comment_77686 Well, I see that you've gotten the point about exactly how much you're paying for them by the change of title but just to re-iterate - you're actually paying mostly postage. The culture itself is at cost price. For that you can whinge to the NZ Post who seem to be constantly raising prices to the point where I can small items couriered almost anywhere for less than postage rates these days. On that same note - raise your prices, Tammy! Make a little money if you're gonna go through all the trouble. Yes, people COULD just bury a potato for a few weeks and get a free one, but I'd rather not play with rinsing a rotten old potato and harvesting whatever is left and I'm sure many other people feel the same. Proven CLEAN cultures are worth much more than just postage. Report
December 3, 200520 yr comment_77697 oh don't worry I am making a profit. my shipping costs are far less than you might expect. You learn a thing or two about what'll work and what wont when you're doing a few auctions (selling and buying). No I'm not giving the mail man a wink or anything just working out economics. if I can figure out how to package and ship something for very little then I can offer free postage. By doing that I can undercut everyone else!!! And you're still getting the exact same goods as you would from someone who hasn't figured out my little secret Report
December 4, 200520 yr comment_77778 I could tell ya, but then I'd have to kill ya. Besides it would rob you of personal growth you wouldn't want me to do that would you? Report
December 4, 200520 yr comment_77784 I'm sure if anyone WANTED to they could it's just that no one has you'd have alot more locals buying off you to Shae. I keep forgetting how small Invercargill is untill I go to something like the Santa Parade this weekend just ending. Being from the States and use to large, rather profetional looking parades I was, shall we just say, less than impressed. However I suppose fish don't celibrate christmass so..... Report
December 4, 200520 yr comment_77837 Tip: If you dont want your microworm culture to smell don't add yeast to the new cultlure, when you take a spoonful from the old culture it will transfer enough yeast to keep the new one going and its the yeast which gives the culture the nasty smell. Report
December 4, 200520 yr comment_77846 Better still. Keep your culture in the toilet... who's going to notice the difference :lol: Report
December 19, 200520 yr Author comment_80501 I thought yeast was one of the essential ingrediens. No wonder why mine smell pretty bad :lol: Thanks for the tip J&W Report
December 19, 200520 yr comment_80510 Shae said: Betchya if i wanted to i could beat your prices Na-na-na-na-nah-naahhhh ! ! ! I agree Shae, but you can't beat what I've charged to some members on this forum. They got them for free. One of the recipients agreed to a swap but didn't come thu on the deal. It was going to be a starter culture of micoworms to a s/c of drosophila, wingless fruitflies. Maybe the person that agreed to that deal will send a Xmas present?? That doesn't mean I want requests for a freebee either, it cost ME for the post. Alan 104 Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.