leaky tank

Tsarmina

It will also help if you tell them it is made by Fosroc

The stocks I have were in the barn.. and I thought it was by the company I put.

Sorry.. it is "Fosroc"

Tsarmina asked:

can i use it over top of the old stuff or will i need to take that off first?

If the tank is just weeping... then you "might" get away by applying some silicone on the "inside" over the weeping area... with no need to empty the tank... just put some on your finger and force it into the leaking area.... but if the seal is obviously split.. then you will need to remove all traces of the old stuff and reseal the area.

Bill.

If it is leaking and the glue is real old I would cut it to bits and reglue the whole thing before you put it in the lounge. The RTV becomes more "brittle" with age. If the RTV looks OK I would cut the existing seals out and replace them. Check the glass to glass glue lines they should be continuous glue not hit and miss. Use the bomb sticks to light the fire. RTV is an adhesive not a filler

the tank is currently empty. the silicon thats already there has peeled away slightly and is also in some parts green from when the tank was in use.

If the silicone has peeled away as you say.. then you would be well advised to do a complete strip of all the old silicone and start from scratch.

What size is the tank..?

Is that 600x300x300...?

i just don't want the tank to fall apart if i take the old stuff off

All just the DIY side of fishkeeping Tsarmina.. and is not really a big job for a tank that size.

You "could" just try removing the faulty seal and re-sealing that side... but the risk is yours.

Look at it as an exersize for your future as an all glass tank maker :)

Great practice project.

Bill.

What do you mean the "tank seal"?

Do you mean the actual RTV between the two pieces of glass?? The joint itself?

Or what has squelched out when being made and rounded off in the making if the tank??

If the former, and you can see where the RTV has not filled properly,

and an airtrack is showing, you may be able to squeeze RTV back thru to fill it.

If it's failing, strip it down and start again.

If it is the bead, which I suspect it is.

Just cut out all the beading and redo it.

That'l pick up the leak.

The green you refer to, as all the seam is not coloured, my guess,

is that it is algae growth that has got under the bead and it will slowly spread and lift all the bead.

Sooooo, my best bet is to strip out all the internal corners,

I use a piece of freshly cut glass, it has very sharp edges and gets into the corner to do the removal,

clean back to the glass, removing all the RTV and any sign of the algae and apply the RTV,

and pointing it off with a wet finger.

Leave 24 hours then fill.

Alan

NZKA 104

alanmin4304 asked:

Pegasus, are you suggesting that builders talk in mm and dressmakers talk in cm?

The world does not revolve around the metric system Alanmin.. nor are we all Kiwi's here... so it "could" have been a 60" (5 foot)x30"x30"

How often do you hear big tank owners brag about their 1800 tank...

NAW... they have a SIX FOOTER. :)

I rest my case... plus it WAS 2:28am after all he he.

Bill.