Fish Study

Warren

Here's the link:

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fish_study/

We've only just received our first submission of 8 species, good on you Matt!

Come on everyone else, go to the Fish Study pages and see what you can do to help. If the species name isn't marked as done then we need it. Get out your camera's and start snapping!!

We've only got 2 months left to source 4200 photo's. So far after 4 weeks we have only 8. There's 4200+ required, 8 supplied, not a good look so far...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem is I don't have any books to reference for the species. If someone wouldn't mind finding them for me I can provide pictures of my fish. Let's see... I could get these ones...I think the scientific names are

Heros Severus Green and gold

Geophagus surinamensis

Satanoperca jurupari AKA geophagus jurupari

Geophagus Brasiliensis

Mystus gulio?

Mystus Vitatta? (Not sure exactly on these two. Silver mystus and striped mystus)

Aequidens rivulatus

Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps

Hemichromis bimaculatus

So, if someone wants to volunteer to look them up in a book I'll spend this friday scooping and taking pictures.

If you want to send the pics through to me and their names I can fill out the forms then forward them to you (in email form) then you can print them and sign them, then send them in.

I don't mind doing my bit. I already have about 15 fish and i am maybe going to do the whole of wetpets. (depending)

Taken today of the MAF Website:

Unwanted Organisms

Scientific Name - Common Name - Organism Type Govt Dept - CTO Category

Any member of Esocidae family - pikes - Fish ERMA New Zealand - Prohibited new organism

Any venomous fish - venomous fish - Fish - ERMA New Zealand - Prohibited new organism

Cyprinus carpio - European carp - Fish - Department of Conservation Hicks, Geoff - Established Organism (DoC)

Gambusia affinis - mosquitofish - Fish -Department of Conservation Hicks, Geoff - Established Organism (DoC)

Gasterosteus spp. - stickleback -Fish - ERMA - New Zealand - Prohibited new organism

Gobio gobio - gudgeon - Fish - Biosecurity New Zealand Thomson, Peter - Other Exotic Organism

Ictalurus punctatus - channel catfish - Fish - MAF O'Neil, Barry - Notifiable Organism

If it's one these then don't bother listing it. If it's not then we want it...

Heros Severus - Baensch Atlas 1

ISBN 3-88244-050-3. p 694

Geophagus surinamensis - Baensch Atlas 1

ISBN 3-88244-050-3. p 706

Satanoperca jurupari AKA geophagus jurupari - Baensch Atlas 1

ISBN 3-88244-050-3. p 704

Geophagus Brasiliensis - Baensch Atlas 1

ISBN 3-88244-050-3. p 704

Mystus gulio?

Mystus Vitatta - Baensch Atlas 1

ISBN 3-88244-050-3. p 456

Aequidens rivulatus

Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps - Baensch Atlas 1

ISBN 3-88244-050-3. p 496

Hemichromis bimaculatus - Baensch Atlas 1

ISBN 3-88244-050-3. p 722

I've just received 22 forms for the fish study. While I'm grateful people are doing it, please make sure you have submitted a valid form. These forms have no photo's attached to them. I don't know what I'm suposed to do with them now as they are useless as far as MAF and ERMA are concerned. It will take me well over an hour to format print and attach 22 photo's, not to mention that I'm not allowed to do it from MAF's and ERMA's standpoint...

If you are going to submit forms, please make sure you fill them out correctly and fully before sending them. I do not have the resource to print everyone's pictures for them.

Reference for L1 Glyptoperichthys joselimaianus (you may want to check fishbase.org to figure out which genus name is the currently valid one)

Baensch Aquarium Atlas Photo Index, pg 326, ISBN 3-88244-504-1