2 Gallon Pico Reef

Tom Gunner

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much for the compliments on the tank guys.

I think it'll be interesting to see how this tank matures, having never tackled anything near this small. More pics are coming soon.

The next step for this tank is to get the topoff's automated. I don't think I have enough room in there to fit a float switch - so I was thinking of having a small powerhead (or another slow pump?) with some tubing on a timer - does anybody else topup using this method? Any suggestions are more than welcome.

probably too big, it would dose too fast for a small tank. the aquamedic sp3000 does 3L per hour - that's a third of the tank! :D unless you put it on a timer and dose for a few minutes at a time? you would really need to rig up some form of float switch because the margin of error for topup is so small with such a small tank. have to have something like a float switch, solenoid and dosing pump. i got two aquamedic sp300's, they are great peristaltic pumps for the price. maybe try these guys?

http://www.watersystems.co.nz/suppliers/pulsafeeder.htm

smallest is 0.4lph. something that was variable rate would be ok if you didnt want it automated.

jetskisteve - The T fitting is a great idea. I'm thinkning I could possibly get away from a mini powerhead with thin tubing through a T fitting on a timer. I might rig a prototype up.

Brianemone - I was just checking out his thread - he has an indusrial pump hooked up to a timer. A very nice setup.

I have seen in electroic catelogs (Jacar?) sensor 'float' switches. They don't actualy get sub merged but otherwise work the same. Cost about $45.00.

Also search RC for the DIY topoff system. Make a bracket, feed water through air hose via gravity. The bracket has a 'hinge' attachment with a float on it (piece of polystyrene). As the water level rises it the hinge lifts and pinches off the air tube, thus preventing water entering the tank. I've seen lots of people doing it and swearing by it. Total cost is a bit of time, a hot glue gun and some air hose, the rest can be made with whatever your most comforable with (metal, plastic, wood - some even use mouse traps.

Pie