2 Gallon Pico Reef

Tom Gunner

Due to the fact that it might be a while until I buy a house and setup a new large tank, I decided to experiment on the other end of the scale and built a 2 gallon pico reef.

I've done quite a lot of research online, and there's some quite impressive tanks out there in the 2 gallon range - some of which are quite established.

Here's what I started with:

48730830.jpgs01_thekit.jpg

The light I ordered from Canada. It's a Coralife 2 X 9 watt Actinic / 10,000k. This is going to be coupled with the Aquaclear mini HOB which will run Chem Zorb when needed, and will hopefully provide enough circulation for such a small tank.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The finished woodwork. I stained the wood with a dark wood oil-based stain, and then oiled it with 4 layers of Danish oil. The Danish oil has a great satin finish, especially when wire-wooled in-between coats - it's also quite a resilient finish that should stand up to the occasional soaking of saltwater.

48730841.jpgs07_top.jpg

48730843.jpgs08_base.jpg

48730845.jpgs09_lid.jpg

The inside of the hood.

It was quite tricky to fit all of this in and still have room for the HOB filter. I kept the ballests at the back, and connected the fan to a variable power AC adaptor so I can play around with the fan speed. There should be enough space to keep the high temps in check - these small lights are notorious for kicking out a lot of heat.

48730847.jpgs10_lighting_fixture.jpg

48730848.jpgs11_lighting_on.jpg

The first full tank shot.

I managed to get some really nice LR pieces at The Pet House, and I'm quite happy how the aqua-scaping.

The lights look great and give me around 9WPG as a rough guide of illumination. I'm still experimenting with the fan speed to keep the lights on and off temps pretty stable.

48730852.jpgs13_fullshot_01.jpg

I added three blue LED's for the moon lights - I'm pleased with the effect.

48731481.14_moonlit.jpg

Brianemone - The light's hooked up with a transformer - not ideal, but should be ok.

I'm glad you liked the cabinet - I've been checking your office tank out. That would look awesome with a custom stand and hood.

jetskisteve - Yeah, it's pretty small - but ironically, probably still quite high maintenance - I know the evap rate is going to be an issue.

Pies - Cheers mate, I really apprieciate the offer. I'll give you a shout in a few weeks time when the stocking starts.

Brianemone - My plans are pretty flexible at the moment. I think I'd like a shrimp of some description with a couple of hermits and snails. Coral wise I'd like the centre piece to be a torch coral, and then probably a collection of Mushroons, Rics, pulsing Xenia and Zoos surrounding.

The glass cover I have is a little short due to the HOB - I'll probably mod this so it's cut around and offers a tight fit.

chimera - A sump and a skimmer would be nice :D - I might however see if I could make a DIY micro HOB skimmer for the HOB filter! Anybody have any plans?