What kind of guppy?

Melanie

Probably not a recognized colouration. You can tell it's black bodied and has quite a variety of colours, but it's basically just a mixed beauty. Here's a website I just found with lots of different colour variations. See if you can spot her anywhere on there. From the research I did the guppies we bought from boxers are mainly wild Florida guppies, with the leopard patterns and such. Maybe not, just what I was reading.

http://www.guppies.com/PAGES/photos.html

This one isn't a leopard, though.

I didn't pick him for colour; he was colourless when I bought him, and then I was quite disappointed when he turned out not to be a girl.

I have a true yellow leopard that came from a fry that got into my bag from Boxers, and this certainly isn't it.

What a weird guppy; I hope some of the surviving babies will look like him.

You would be hard pressed to find any specific guppies in NZ as they are bred for quantity, not quality. There are a few line breeders about though if you can find them. Most guppy types here refer to tail shape, not colour, although 'snakeskin' is commonly recognised. People selling them seem to think they can get a better price if their guppy has a specific name like 'red snakeskin veiltail' etc

I have just got a new male and I am having troubles with what sort he is. Is it a cobra or snakeskin? The picture is real shocking and its the best picture I could get before my batteries went flat. Hes a lovely yellow/green colour with the pattern all over his body and two black dots which is identical for both sides of him.

004.jpg

As I said the pic is real shitty but its the best I could get before batteries died. It was taken with no flash as there wasn't enough batterie life for that and now the camera won't even turn on lol joys :P

I am hoping to breed this with my golden female to continue the yellow colouration :D

cheers

PeneJane asked:

Is it a cobra or snakeskin?

It depends on what name someone.. or some LFS.. has attached to it... or what part of the world you are in.

Cobra's and Snakeskins are basically the same fish.. being called Cobra mainly in the West.. while in the Eastern countries they mainly call them Snakeskin. The early "Cobra's" were called King Cobra Delta's, and shortly after the so called Snakeskins began to appear.. but all the breeders at the time claimed they were just a variation of the Cobra Guppy.

The "Blondes" are called the "Golds" or "Bronze" in many places, and even some of the "Blacks" are claimed to be "Blues" in some places.

The Cobra or Snakeskin have been around since the early '50's.

It seems that every breeder that gets a slight variation in colours will attach their own name.. (much like the Discus and Angels).. but few are recognised by the WGA, but the standard tail shapes are the ones that are recognised.

Bill.

I have just got a new male and I am having troubles with what sort he is.

cheers

He looks like one of my last males.......sadly couldn't handle it in the bigger tank......he was a try hard top sword.....;.his off spring have the same tail.....but not the colour.....just spots and splashes of orange black and yellow.

well heres the funny thing about the LFS that I go to.

Their guppy tank is listed as Imported Guppies. Yet I took them 11 fish and they put them in the same tank so they are selling off my guppies as imports. They don't have them seperated if any special ones like the snakeskins come in. It all and every guppy in the one tank. I have gotten a couple of females off a friend who has got two lovely snakeskins which he thinks may be offspring from them so I was hoping that if I breed them with this male then my chances might be a little higher to get the pattern on the body of fry.

Now heres the next question. With fry of snakeskin when would their body patterns start showing? I have noticed that the first colour to appear on my frys tails is yellow then red.

cheers

well heres the funny thing about the LFS that I go to.

Their guppy tank is listed as Imported Guppies. Yet I took them 11 fish and they put them in the same tank so they are selling off my guppies as imports. They don't have them seperated if any special ones like the snakeskins come in. It all and every guppy in the one tank. I have gotten a couple of females off a friend who has got two lovely snakeskins which he thinks may be offspring from them so I was hoping that if I breed them with this male then my chances might be a little higher to get the pattern on the body of fry.

Now heres the next question. With fry of snakeskin when would their body patterns start showing? I have noticed that the first colour to appear on my frys tails is yellow then red.

cheers

Mine got black first.

Have to say, great pics - 'specially with a web cam! I was chasing my guppies around for a good 10 minutes (even after having the lights off for an hour) and didn't get good pics of the guys I wanted to shoot. I'll put up a few pics though...

This is a nice delta male I got from boxersrus - not necessarily a strain but the metallic blue/green on the body with the snakeskin tail is a NICE combo. Tail is small, but I hope to breed better ones.

MetalBlue.jpg

Yellow King Cobra/Snakeskin - body usually has more black patterning, lights were off

snakeskin.jpg

This is a brand new delta male and he was a present from lollipop9 - has a yellow/orange tail with a few lines and dots; but the body has a white leopard pattern, really nice. Bad picture, he wouldn't hold still.

WayFastWhitey.jpg

That's it for now. Could show off with some half black red veiltails, but didn't get any decent shots.

Melanie, lollipop9 has HEAPS of females! Great colours, too. The females I got from boxersrus were all plain-janes but lollipop has females with reds, yellows, blues - you name it. I was really impressed today when I went and got some and I know you will be too. Just watch out for that pesky duckweed!

Melanie, lollipop9 has HEAPS of females! Great colours, too. The females I got from boxersrus were all plain-janes but lollipop has females with reds, yellows, blues - you name it. I was really impressed today when I went and got some and I know you will be too. Just watch out for that pesky duckweed!

I sent you a PM for their contact info.

Mel - good luck!

Werner - I think PeneJane is trying to get some snakeskins going in Invercargill. She got some from the LFS and they died from Ammonia Burn. If you really want some all of ours are babies so I'd have to buy some from the LFS here for you ($7 each) and courier it down. A lot of trouble, but some guppers are worth it!

Good news for the Invercargill crew - MRSkz has a shipment of fish heading down and stopping by WGTN on the way. I've arranged to "donate" one of my yellow king cobras to pop in and get sent down with the rest of the box. So be sure and have some nice virgin females ready to go when he gets there so you can pass him around and have lots of snakeskin bubbas!