14 or 20k MH???

ghostface

The higher the Kelvin the bluer the light as a general rule (there are some exceptions based on manifacturer).

Also the higher the Kelvin the lower the PAR (intensitiy) of the lighting. e.g. for a 5 foot tank 2x 10k bulbs may be enough, but 3x 14k may provide the same intensitiy of light.

General vibe is people use between 10k-14k, suplimented with blue and 6500-10k tubes.

I am using a mixture 14k and 20k bulbs.

Hope that helps.

Piemania

aparently the 6500k bulbs have as much of the "blue" spectrum as the 20k do.

yes perhaps, but not according to my eyes! PAR (photosynthetically active radiation) values - essentially the measure of a lamps ability to stimulate photosynthetic activity is very important. Supposedly actinics dont provide much PAR and are mainly for aesthetics? However, they are quite important if you're keeping Anemone's

Within the blue band there is a chlorophyll absorption peak at about 420 nanometers, and the actinic also peaks at this wavelength. The light is then used by zooxanthellae that live within the tissue of the anemone, in turn they produce fats, sugars, etc as food for the anemone

when diving on a reef you find examples of the same coral at deffirent levels and light intensities.....

I think the issue is that they have had the opportunity to adapt to that position on the reef, when collected you have no idea where from.....

I've been pondering the same thing for quite a while now. I am currently using the Hamilton 14K DE bulbs and HATE them. My coral growth has been weak, quite a bit of fading of colors, etc... all of which many others have complained about on RC. :evil:

So, I've decided to give the XM 10K's a try. I've read many good things on various forums about these bulbs and seen many very nice tanks running them, e.g. I believe Bomber from RC uses these bulbs (??). I'm a bit partial to his tank as well since he convinced me to go bare bottom, and LOVE IT. But that is a whole different argument. :wink:

At any rate, I am going to place an order with Reef Depot for some of these bulbs. Here is the quote I currently have on price:

"Price of 250W XDE bulb is SGD $115 each. We give 5% discount if customers order 6 or more. Shipping quotes for 5 DE bulbs Air mail (9 - 11 days): SGD $42."

If anyone wants to go in on the order, please let me know ASAP.

If you have experience with these bulbs, please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm a bit partial to his tank as well since he convinced me to go bare bottom, and LOVE IT. But that is a whole different argument.

*shudder*

At any rate, I am going to place an order with Reef Depot for some of these bulbs

You mean MarineDepot? I have a couple of things I want if you do. PM me.

I was running my tank on 14,000 k's but changed it a few months back to 10,000 k,s. The coral has done a lot better. The general appearance of the tank is more yellow, but the improved colour of the corals after a few months has made up for this. I've also added some actinic tubes which I don't think does anything for the livestock but has improved the appearance of the lighting. The ratio is 2 x 150 watt 10,000k MH, and 2 x 18 watt actinic. It's still not as blue as most tanks I see though.

I was running my tank on 14,000 k's but changed it a few months back to 10,000 k,s.

Hey Wasp, what brand of bulbs are you using? I was a bit worried about the "yellow" factor as well. That's why I decided to try the XMs since most people have said that they are quite white in appearance. Also, the tanks that I've seen pictures of using the bulbs seem to be pretty crisp.

The 10,000 k's are Ushio 150 watt DE. They seem to be doing a pretty fair job they have been in use since just after Christmas.

The only reason I bought them though was they were on special for US $59.00 each at the time. (Custom Aquatics).

All up I think a lot of the argument over brand is academic. I've always bought whatever is cheapest. Not to say some are probably better than others though, also, I'm not that experienced with MH.