amazon swords required

Don't know to much about the swords but they root in the gravel so a lot of their nutrients will come from there. Instead of a rooted plant try a floating one.

Water Sprite http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=005A would be ideal for your purpose. You will only need one small peice and within a month would have stocked all your other tanks and started to use it as compost in the garden. It can be planted but prefers to float around. Very hardy and it has the advantage over other floaters like duck weed since it is easy to harvest and get rid off if needed. Indian Fern is another name sometimes used for it.

That an interesting reply from Shilo, if your tanks have a common filtation system you may even look at duck weed .(think I may try this myself in the future)

it's fast growing and can be harvested as a veg componant in your fish food.

you would need a tank or more dedecated for it i'm sure you wouldn't want it in your "fish" tanks

:hail: from new zealand discus man

thanks could try a few ..main reason for swords is can sell later young ones to my discus buyers..

and secondly i have over flows system on all tanks..turn one tap and all get water through solar system,,just 200 meters of pipe in sun and helps increasing temp..but if plants block over flow then ..you know the rest..

can those plants be container grown..??

if yes i will try some.. cheers phill

Indian fern and the water sprite I guess can be container grown.

I normally push them into the gravel fo them to grow but when they get big and the leaves reach the top of the water level they begin to reproduce.

Guess there would be no harm in trying.

I've been meaning to head out your way and have a look at all your discus. could do it this weekend if you are interested.

:oops: I didn't realize duckweed had been clasafied as noxis :oops: ,

there are two plants that are called water sprite 1 has broad leaves in water and fine leaves out of the water the other has fine leaves always and grows in the substrate (pots) more readly.

both are fast growers

That was Salvinia Phill, definitely on the banned list

Every backyard goldfish pond had it when I was a kid.

Makes a perfect lawn of a lake

I saw it at the Western Springs lake

North to south, East to West.

Alan 104