Brineshrimp

clarkeymaster

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a chilly-bin?

Or one of those poly boxes from the LFS?

Use that with a bedside lite.

Low wattage and you have a hatching box

Don't disturb him, 9The ol'man)the bikes are on at the moment.

Put a hole thru the lid or side for an air-line,

and if ya lucky a thermostat operated switch for the lite.

Sounds profesional doesn't it??

Yep, I agree the egg hatch would be all overthe place at a cold temp.

Both Cass and myself want BBS when we snap our fingers.

Alan 104

ummm I have all that but the bedside lamp is one of thoes touch lamps with a 60WT bulb in it. I can't see how that will heat the water and keep it heated to at least 24*C. The lamp is used for me to see at night when I feed my son so it is turned off during the night mostly. Do they need this light 24 hrs a day or can it be switched off at night?

BTW I have also read on some sites to use baking soda in with the eggs. Is this necessary? According to the pack its 2TBL spoons of salt to 1lt or water. I have been told to use Tonic salt.

You aren't the first one to make that mistake and get sucked in by the hype.

So don't be embarassed, if you have bought the most highest priced BBS.

It is not the special food that you 'have' to buy to make then dance, it is the light, which is also their downfall, as a lot of shrimperies use the light to attract them to their doom.

Baby fish's stomachs

So have a look around the site you will actually find eggs for sale here and also how to grow them on to adult size.

Can't find it? Ask some more questions.

Alan 104

Woops two answers in a row.

OK PJ, got ya PM, those eggs that you got are apparently packed from those tins or plastic paks that you get them in, in bulk.

Broken down for resale, I bet they aren't stored in 10oC b4 sale.

And how long is it since they were opened and packed.

So other than the money cost,

don't be dispondant about any hatching probs,

it just may be they are too old, and not stored correctly.

If ya can't afford a tin, find some friends and go shares.

Ya can't get them much cheaper.

Water?

I just use ordinary sea water that I get from a local harbour.

Some recipes use the B/S. I don't, cause I feed mine out as BBS, not adults.

Your baby cichlids will grow ok without it, might be a bit cheaper and slower, but as long as the parents don't decide to eat thm, they'll grow fine.

Alan 104

its for my guppy fry and I have put my bedside lap next to them but the lamp is up on a book to make it higher and I have covered the lower 2/3 of the bottle with tinfoil but the light is comming down from above and so far the temp has gone from 14*C up to 19*C in just a few hrs so lets hope that it might work.

I will look into getting water from the sea in future :D

The container of eggs that I got were sitting on a shelf. I hope that I still manage to get at least 70%-80% hatch rate. I will talk to my husband once this lot has run out about getting a tin off you next time so let me know when they are up again and I will see if I can afford it at that time unless I still have heaps left over from this tub.

Should I put baking soda in the water? if so how much? I have been told that this is what keeps the pH 8+ which is necessary to break down the shell to help the shrimp hatch?

kk cool

Now my last two questions which have got me confused...

Does it matter if the light gets turned off at night? The lamp that is being used at the moment is my bedside lamp which will only get turned on again at about 6.30-7am. I know that the temp will drop but we do have a heater in the bedroom. I will look into moving the setup eventually where the light can stay on 24/7.

Question 2

I got the salt water down now but I have heard some people say to add baking soda to help keep the pH 8+ to help the shrimp hatch. Is this necessary or can I go with out it?

Cheers for all the help so far. Things don't seem so horrible now lol

As I said, the light is not for looking with.

It supplies heat.

In fact the BBS swim towards the light and use energy, therefore become less nutritious

Doesn't matter if ya turn it off.

You can tell when you have a hatching.

The brown spheres go orange.

Don't worry about the baking soda, I don't and nor does Cass I don't think.

Sea water is handy. I get a 40 litre container. so no mixing is required.

It may be half the salinity that they prefer, and you do need to increase the salinity for growing on, but for hatching purposes, it is fine.

Alan 104

I have now got a whole pile of floating brown eggs. Does this mean that I failed? or are the shells brown after they have hatched? I turned the air off lastnight and had a look and noticed I had a few swimming about so I left them over night and hope to have more this morning. Not going to do any more untill we either get a small tank with a heater set up or a hatch box sorted.

well that lot got tiped out :( Going to look into a plastic container which I can add a small heater to keep the temp at 28-30*C (or is this to high?)

The bedside lamp only managed to get it up to 22*C which I felt just wasn't enough and having the light turned off at night as its in our bedroom ment that the temp then droped down to about 15*C so the only way I can make sure that its going to work is to get a smallish container and put a heater in it. Or I could wait a centry for my husband to make the hatchery box but I don't want to wait that long.

I shall let you all know what ends up happening. Untill then the eggs are just going to have to sit in the fridge.

Saw some fish tanks at the warehouse yesterday.

Plastic, and IMO not suitable for viewing fish because of the way the plastic warps the view.

Ok for a rearing tank and definitely ok for a B/S hatching tank.

Under $10 too.

Alan 104

yeah I saw a couple of things wriggling about but that was it. Most if it was just eggs and when I went to tip the water out into a coffee filter bag all I got was a pile of eggs and couldn't see the few that had hatched so totaly upset I just biffed the lot.

Yeah thats what I was going to look into where its long enough to hold a heater yet small enough with an air pump to still move the water about.

I'm doing some trials for my own benefit - with and without baking soda added to the brine - and at the early stages I am getting a much better success rate with the soda. I'm not a marine fish keeper so I don't know much about how much ph increases when just salt is added to our Ph 7.0 Hamilton soft water.

However If it were me, Penejane I'd be storing those eggs of yours in the freezer - It says on the tin I have - once opened keep well sealed and store at minus 17.C or below. I kept a small pottle in the fridge for about a week and noticed a considerable drop in hatch rate - now I use from the freezer.