Flat worms.

raeh1

Salifert flatworm exit will kill them. if you have many no wrasse will eat them all as they will grow as quick as it can eat them.

Try hollywood fish farm as they might have some flatworm exit, beware, really follow the instructions.

I have used the Salifert Flatworm Exit without issue. It does work, as stated by reef, follow the instructions. Its reef safe, HOWEVER its the dieing flatworms that cuase the problems, not the medication.\

As for fish, i've had wrassee, mandarin, scooter blenny etc all 'rumoured' to eat them, personally I think its a bunch of popycock.

Pies

It seems you'd practically have to have flatworms coating every surface to have enough that killing them would cause a problem. I had them swarming in my tank so much they looked like little red shingles on the rock in some places. Sucked up what I could then dosed the tank. I didn't notice anything being stressed, though I only had a couple fish and corals. But afterwards my hair algae all disappeared.

Salifert needs to sell the SFWE it liter jugs, I think, since it never seems to actually wipe the flatworms out.:(

It seems you'd practically have to have flatworms coating every surface to have enough that killing them would cause a problem

Not sure, I know PC100 had fish loss after using it which he attributed to lots of dieing worms. I've read similar things online, but mostly success stories.

I have treated on 2 seperate ocasions, and both times they have eventually come back. I have none in my display tank, but lots in my sump. As soon as I can get some water, I am going to nuke em.

Interesting comment on hair algae, I have noticed similar things, like I had heaps of cyno, killed the flatworms and it disapeared. Coninsodince? I thought so, maybee not. Maybee the presence of the flatworms does something to the tank?

Pie

Brianemone had a good theory

He thinks that the population will grow to an unsustainable population then crash naturally.

I think this sounds logical.

If so once it has crashed maybe this is the time to treat em to the taste of some mean chemicals. To finish them off.. :evil:

He thinks that the population will grow to an unsustainable population then crash naturally.

I've heard reports of that too. People have a massive infestation of them, they do nothing about it, and they eventually just disappear.

It works for algae... so i suppose it could work for flat worms?

Layton

I had flatworms for over 12 months before deciding to treat, no signs of them doing anything but increasing in number. Infact there are threads on this fourm about my experances with the SFWE and why I dedicded to treat, something I didn't take lightly.

Crashing - There is lots of info on this, and its the major reason to treat them. Eventually they strip the tank of whatever it is they eat, they crash, that is they all die. As with the treatment, when they all die, the poison the tank. this is why many treat their tanks, better for them to all die in circumstance they control, not come home and find dead fish and no flatworms. They are also unsightly.

I think there is a relationship between algae/cyno and the worms. Just a gut feeling.

Piezola

I used this flat worm exit 2 weeks back.I removed as many as i could see by sucking them out and then added the recomended amount drop by drop.They died instantly.I had the carbon ready and 25% water just incase(400L).As soon as they died the clams closed instantly and not much else happend.Then i put the carbon it as directed and sucked out the dead ones.The tank the turned urine yellow and had me a bit worried.The fish seemed fine but the coral was starting to pack a sad.So it put in another $120 worth of carbon and changed 400L of water and watched the tank for improvement over an hour.THe anenome was looking real sad so i got anther 400L of water of my mate which did nothing to improve the tank.Now it became a nail biteing waiting game.The first to go was the anenome.The clowns left it which was the first sign.The fish were still fine and had been for 6 hours.I think when the anenome died it help poison the fish because the died staight after except for the clown fish.They seemed unharmed.I took out the anenome and stuck it in a bucket but it was to late for the fish.I rung my mate and he has a key to the local pet shop and we got some moer water and took out all the coral and stuck it polly boxes which we floated in the top of the tank till morning.All i have left now is some polyps.The two fish that seem to have not been affected died after 2 days buy scales and skin falling off as if they were burnt.Only 10% of the coral lived.GOOD NEWS is i have no flat worms.BAD NEWS is it cost me the lives of my fish which i have had for a while which was hard to take not to say all the coral.My tank looks like a water grave.Next time i will strip my tank and dip them.Flatworms 1. Skuzza 0. :cry::cry::cry:

I,ve got heaps of them

I am worried that my efforts to kill them may kill my stuff as well.

The problem is that my anemone is so sensitive to any bad water quality that he may do the same thing and die.

Also he is missing a couple of tenticles and this could be damaged by the chemicals.

Can you do light doses to reduce the numbers more slowly.

I could dose then do a 60 to 80% water change.

also how much does it cost???