veiltail gold fish

raven

Proper Veiltails are scarcer than hen's teeth to get.

Since the breeders have stopped importing, the bred has rapidly deteriorated.

Alan 104

Why they stopped importing? Forbidden? No profit?

What are the regulations for importing of ornamental fish? :roll:

The imported fish were only allowed to stay alive for a few years,

and even then, they had to be under full quaratine.

The profit, if any, was made from the fry that were bred.

After their short stay in NZ, the imported fish had to be euthanised.

I'm not sure if the goldies can be imported still,

maybe Fishbait can settle that question.

If they can, they would still be under the Q conditions tho.

Alan 104

Scooby said:

have u seen the ones on trade me?? the fancy fish seem to go for rediculous prices eh?? i recall one fishy went for $230..00. for one fish.. now thats one expensive fishy. lol

It was not long ago that a NZ Goldfish Breeder on TV said that he was exporting fancy Goldfish for... $5,000:00 each :)

He apparently exports many hundreds of thousands of the more common types each year.

Bill.

Yeah ive brought a few fish off trademe. Some of the prices are rediculous prices, im guilty of paying them, BUT when you want good - Great quality fish, i for one dont mind paying for it. Too often i go into pet shops and see goldfish(the quality of them) and look at the prices and wonder who on earth would pay that sort of money for those fish. I guess its a case of each to there own :)

• 14 years later...
  • 5 months later...

Despite the wild variation between different types of goldfish, all goldfish belong to the same species, Carassius auratus auratus. Years of selective breeding have produced a wide variety of strains of goldfish and 4" MINI SPLIT RING PLIERS - MZFPM06; though all remain genetically compatible.Both the veiltail  and the fantail goldfish have a number of traits in common. Both are considered "fancy" goldfish. This means that both strains are the result of selective breeding and they're different from the original, wild-type goldfish.the gold fish and veiltail have difference in there shape fin size and fin shape. 

Hi Ukka, 

I agree totally with u, but this thread is a new Zealand thread, we can't import goldfish, I suppose some millionaires could lol, but basically importing any goldfish in new Zealand is banned, so for the last approx 15 years as far as I'm aware all gf in NZ are line bred from the old original strains. And the long flowing fins of the veiltail seem to have vanished, no one appears to be breeding that strain, attached pic off Internet of the type of gf I personally am trying to breed, if I could even get ONE fish, it would be a start lol, 

IMG_20201021_061539.jpg