Discus wormer - KUSURI WORMER PLUS

chrisg

Hi

Does anyone know if you can get it in NZ? or what can be used here. I did do a search on here for advice previously given but it was all quite old and as things change over time wondered if there was any new suggestions on how to treat discus for internal parasites.  Thanks in advance

Kusuri wormer is no longer allowed to be imported into NZ which is unfortunate as it did work well.  

Best bet regarding getting hold of something that works really well is to do the research on it, print off the documentation and take the paperwork along with the fish to your vets.  Vets can not legally prescribe without sighting the fish however as few have indepth knowledge in this area taking the documentation with you assists you to get what you are after. 

That's too bad. I wonder why they won't let it in here I was going to get my daughter to bring me some back as she in the uk at the moment and it did seem the simplest way.

Is there anyone breeding discus in here that has wormed discus a few times and knows what they are doing. That would be happy to quide me through the process?

Contact Ron, owner of New Pupuke Aquarium Centre in Northcote.  He has a facebook page for the shop.  Incredibly knowledgable and hugely experienced in breeding top quality discus and always happy to help.  Also on here as discusguru.  I would love to say I can assist however when I wormed I used Kusuri - which was prior to it being banned around 18 months ago maybe?

Praziquantel is usually my go-to as a general dewormer and is available from Hollywood Fish Farm - sometimes it's worth combining with Levamisole (also available from the same store) for use against a larger "spectrum" of internal parasites (Levamisole is specifically known for use against Callamanus nematodes). Unfortunately more serious infections can require Metronidazole which involves a vet visit & is more difficult to obtain.