Medusa Guppy Breeding Project

Colour_genes

I have been working on developing my own strain of Lyretail/ Double-Sword Medusa guppy for the past year or so, and have now achieved some success with a few males showing the colours and patterns I want.

To create what I want I have had to combine 3 strains of Guppy - Vienna Emerald Green Double Sword (original stock of 2 males from a pet shop), Golden Lace Snakeskin (TM purchases), and Schim Platinum (thanks to caserole for these)

So I crossed the Platinum males over females from the D.sword & snakeskin lines over several generations, selecting heavily as they started to look more like what I wanted.

The females seemed to be the key as they carried the swordtailed genes, and eventually the snakeskin (x-linked) genes as well. The platinum comes from males only, so those were easier to see.

The 2 photos are of the selected males for the next generation - photos were taken a few months ago and now I have the next generation of fry and eagerly waiting to see how well this gene complex passes on through the generations.

2016 Medusa male Gen 1 DSCN5114.jpg

2016 Medusa male Gen 1 DSCN5118.jpg

Edited by Colour_genes

Well done !!
If you get bored with the strain - implement/introduce Magenta, it will blow your mind. Have seen a few fish on a guppy show 10 years ago and still remember them...

Cheers,
JaSa

Thanks JaSa. I thought about Magenta, but I know that affects fin development, so not sure what that might do to the lyretail (or ultimately double-sword) that I really want on this strain. I don't think I've ever seen a magenta with a sword or lyre tail, have you seen or experienced that? I have just acquired a 'Pink Lady' male, and working on transferring the Jap Blue gene from him into the strain, which I think could look rather nice. It will take a fair few generations unfortunately but I've never seen Jap Blue on any other strain of fish down here (a sword-tailed or in conjunction with snakesking would have been ideal, but in NZ we have to work with what we get, I guess).

I don't think I've ever seen a magenta with a sword or lyre tail, have you seen or experienced that?

Yes, have seen Magenta as pin / needle tails and a DS in form of a Lutino Magenta Endler.

I have just acquired a 'Pink Lady' male, and working on transferring the Jap Blue gene from him into the strain, which I think could look rather nice. It will take a fair few generations unfortunately but I've never seen Jap Blue on any other strain of fish down here (a sword-tailed or in conjunction with snakesking would have been ideal, but in NZ we have to work with what we get, I guess).

Hmm, JB is Y-linked here in NZ. Means you can either have your Schimmelpfennig Platinum (+ X-linked SS = Medusa) or your JB - unless one of them crosses over onto the X. Also JB will most likely cover your nice Medusa pattern.

I would rather use your Pink Lady male to create a blond Snakeskin JB guppy. Y-linked JB crossed with X-linked SS. You will get the first decent males in F1. Or if you want to safe time, I can send you a blonde JB male :). Also have some JB males that are able to show Zebrinus. They might be able to show Medusa as well? But again, it is Y-linked. BTW, all my JB are going back to a Pink Lady Guppy I got from caserole 2 years ago.

Cheers,
JaSa

Hmm, interesting about the magenta, might have to try that sometime.

Yes, I had been hoping for a crossover onto the X, but that could easily take some years, if it happens for me at all. I know there have been occasions where it has happened overseas, but not often.

I do have a line of x-linked gold lace snakeskin that I used to create the Medusa, so I have a couple of the blonde females from that line in with the Pink Lady male, they should be not far off producing fry, so I'll see how those turn out. If I'm not impressed with what I see, I'd love to have a couple of your JB males to work with, thanks heaps for the offer.

Yes, I had been hoping for a crossover onto the X, but that could easily take some years, if it happens for me at all. I know there have been occasions where it has happened overseas, but not often.

When caserole gave me the pair of Pink Lady Guppies, I produced large numbers of females with the same goal. 3 or 4 of them looked different but test crossings showed that there was no crossing over of the JB. Funny enough I had the JB gone missing on some of the males! Because there are no tell-tails you literally have to test every female. I gave up after a while - there were more exciting things to do with all those tanks... :)

Will post pictures of some odd JB males later in the other topic. You will see JB hides most of the other traits - but not always a 100%! Not sure if this is inheritable or not. I see it as a fault and select for 100% coverage. But what hey: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".